Motor oil drain screw leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor oil drain screw leak

Lost about 10 ccs max from motor oil drain screw port after driving home at end of season about 50 miles. Motor was in proper position. No leakage during season. Newer F150.
    Any ideas appreciated.
    Thanks

Install a new gasket and torque the bolt to specification.

Never touch the drain bolt again. Use a vacuum extractor to remove the oil in the future.

Or come back here later for instructions as to how to install a Helicoil when the drain pan threads are stripped.

Comment

Originally posted by larryon38 View Post
      Lost about 10 ccs max from motor oil drain screw port after driving home at end of season about 50 miles. Motor was in proper position. No leakage during season. Newer F150.
      Any ideas appreciated.
      Thanks
      What is the proper position of motor?

I'm not *****ing.....

Comment

Originally posted by larryon38 View Post
        Any ideas appreciated.
        Thanks
        Leads one to question why the leak occurred while in transport and not occur during OP's "season".
        Jason
        1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
          What is the proper position of motor?
          This ^^^ question will stir up a hot debate.

Per yamaha, "The motor should be trailered and stored in the normal running position. If there is insufficient road clearance in this position, then trailer the motor in the tilt position using a motor support device such as a transom saver bar."

I have been instructed by a yamaha mechanic that since I cannot transport boat with engine down, the engine lowered onto the extended trim rams is sufficient. But of course, I only trailer boat 1.5 miles to get to boat ramp.
          Jason
          1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

That motor, tilted UP, NO OIL will come out the drain hole (even with the bolt removed). (That's how I change my oil).

As noted, get a new gasket, make sure there's NOT TWO gaskets stuck up inside the rubber boot..

A touch of gasket sealer on the threads of the drain bolt (must be super clean, tilt engine, clean block)
            if not removing that drain bolt again, will guarantee no leaks when assembled..

Cross fingers no one stripped the block...

I tighten my drain bolt (06 F150) to 12' lbs ft (like the filter) with no leakage/issues.. It's NOT going anywhere..

Curious, who had that drain plug off last, shop, you, ?

Also, re "proper position", un-less the engine is trimmed in ALL the way(on lift/trailer), some small amounts of water DOES STAY inside either the engine / LU.

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 10-30-2017, 07:02 AM.
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
              That motor, tilted UP, NO OIL will come out the drain hole (even with the bolt removed). (That's how I change my oil).
              makes you wonder if there was oil spilled and hiding somewhere that showed up after tilting the motor up and trailering

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                makes you wonder if there was oil spilled and hiding somewhere that showed up after tilting the motor up and trailering
                After an oil change it's very possible.. But it shouldn't be dripping after that..

It IS easy to leave a gasket up there and have two instead of just one... It's got a rubber boot, maybe 3-4" long. Looking up there is kinda difficult as it's skinny, especially with a socket..
                Scott

Comment

just checking to make sure the OP saw oil coming from where he said it was leaking from since you said it should not be leaking when tilted

Comment

The reason that little turd is so easy to strip is because of the odd angle of drain hole. Odd to facilitate draining. I tell people to take note when they put the deep well socket on it prior to loosening the first time. I am going to find one of those drill powered pumps and vacuum it in the spring.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                      The reason that little turd is so easy to strip is because of the odd angle of drain hole. Odd to facilitate draining. I tell people to take note when they put the deep well socket on it prior to loosening the first time.
                      Agreed 100%.

When I put my socket on it initially, I pay attention to if the socket leans to one side of the rubber boot or the other...

If the bolt doesn't spin on easily, simply stop. I mean, ANY RESISTANCE, stop...

I never had an issue starting it and stop at 12 lbs ft..

It's when someone is in a hurry (crooked install) or heavy on the wrench is what causes issues(whether it be the PO, etc).
                      Scott

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Replacing gasket and never coming off again.

Comment

Working...
                        X