No announcement yet.

F200 tilt/trim sucking air into system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F200 tilt/trim sucking air into system?

I have a 2013 F200 xca 2.8l inline 4. I have purged and filled the system completely. It will function perfectly for a little while and then I can start hearing air in the system passing through the pump. Starts as little bubbles as the trim Rams are almost extended right before it goes into tilt. If I do not purge it using the manual release and let the air out of the reservoir it will start making screeching sounds. No leaking of fluid. Where can air get into the system?

that is a trademark of the showa unit.
    most are noisy.
    the air is from the reservoir the bubbles form in the pump.
    next time you purge it try adding a few Oz of 30wt motor oil.

Comment

The system is completely self bleeding of any air that might get within the system. Opening the relief valve is not a solution.

The motor is tilted to the full up position and fluid is added if needed. The motor is run fully down and then back fully up. If fluid can be added do so and and repeat the up and down cycle until a check indicates that no more fluid can be added.

If fluid is being lost such that you have to repeatedly add more fluid then the source of the leak needs to be found.

A strange gurgling sound coming from the PTT pump is no indication that air has gotten within the system. Fluid may leak out but air does not get in. The fluid reservoir is above the level of the pump, pump motor, tilt cylinder and trim cylinders.

You mention bubbles being in the trim system. How are you seeing these bubbles?

Comment

No fluid is lost. I can hear the air as it passes through the pump. Makes a popping sound. When I open the fill cap, air bubbles out with a small amount of fluid.

Comment

What I was thinking is that air is getting drawn it at one of the trim ram seals as the ram is retracting. Then it is pushed thru the pump as the ram extends.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul075f200 View Post
            What I was thinking is that air is getting drawn it at one of the trim ram seals as the ram is retracting. Then it is pushed thru the pump as the ram extends.
            Yes that can very well be happening....

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
              that is a trademark of the showa unit.
              most are noisy.
              the air is from the reservoir the bubbles form in the pump.
              next time you purge it try adding a few Oz of 30wt motor oil.
              I had to ask what does the 30wt motor oil do to make this better?

Comment

what can it do?
                it can make the unit a bit less noisy.
                that unit does not use a pressure down so it wont suck air.
                as most the time it is in the water it would suck water instead of air.

Comment

My Showa trim rams are a little noisy after sittting for a couple days. After one cycle up/down, no more popping. Until it sits for a few more days.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul075f200 View Post
                    ... as the trim Rams are almost extended right before it goes into tilt. ...it will start making screeching sounds.
                    I have no experience with Showa -

but to me, "screeching" means the tips of the trim rams need a touch of grease

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                      I have no experience with Showa -

but to me, "screeching" means the tips of the trim rams need a touch of grease

Rams are greased.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                        My Showa trim rams are a little noisy after sittting for a couple days. After one cycle up/down, no more popping. Until it sits for a few more days.
                        Maybe it is just normal. Anyone else have this?

Comment

Rodbolt is a Yamaha Master tech, if he is not joking about the 30w motor oil you could try that

Comment

and keep the ram tips greased.
                            but yall do as you tubes direct.

Comment

Working...
                            X