F300 2015 Winterizing Procedures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

winterizing aint all about cold.
    it is about protecting the fuel system and all them thar shiney cast and steel parts from rust during storage.
    it is why at least once a month I have to break out all the weapons from the safe and oil them.
    they will rust just sitting.
    when I lived in CA you could turn a brake rotor and leave it on the bench for a week and it still shined.
    in Mobile AL it rusted as you were cutting it.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
      winterizing aint all about cold.
      it is about protecting the fuel system and all them thar shiney cast and steel parts from rust during storage.
      it is why at least once a month I have to break out all the weapons from the safe and oil them.
      they will rust just sitting.
      when I lived in CA you could turn a brake rotor and leave it on the bench for a week and it still shined.
      in Mobile AL it rusted as you were cutting it.
      Put a ****en rod in your safe and forget about the monthly oiling

Not sure why they edited that but g o l d is the missing part
      Last edited by scofflaw; 10-31-2017, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        Op needs to pay attention to what Rodbolt wrote about the V8s heads not draining completely sometimes since he is in a cold climate.
        Using some antifreeze would be a good idea
        OP said he had a V6. Also mentioned 2015 model in title. I think the F300 V8 is a baby pidgeon.....

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
          OP said he had a V6. Also mentioned 2015 model in title. I think the F300 V8 is a baby pidgeon.....
          I must have missed something about it being a V6 in his posts

Comment

Is there a consensus, on what to do for pukes like me in the mid atlantic?

In Virginia Beach we have historically had the opportunity to fish much of the winter with (an occasionally fantastic, tho not lately) fall/winter striper season. It's not unreasonable to use the boat once or twice (at least) during both Dec and Jan. Far more if the fish are here and the weather allows. We also have the arrival of the Humpbacks which give you another opportunity to use the boat until March.

We typically have daytime temps in the 30's and 40's but night temps can dip down into the 20's. I kept a heater in the bilge of my inboard, but short of erecting a hanger nothing will keep these engines warm.

I didn't winterize my engines last year and I don't plan on it this year either. I do try and run them at least once ever 30 days at a minimum and I keep the Startron and Stabil concentrations much higher than I do in summer.

Just curious what others in similar clime's do.
            Last edited by oldmako69; 10-31-2017, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oldmako69 View Post
              Is there a consensus, on what to do for pukes like me in the mid atlantic?

In Virginia Beach we have historically had the opportunity to fish much of the winter with (an occasionally fantastic, tho not lately) fall/winter striper season. It's not unreasonable to use the boat once or twice (at least) during both Dec and Jan. Far more if the fish are here and the weather allows. We also have the arrival of the Humpbacks which give you another opportunity to use the boat until March.

We typically have daytime temps in the 30's and 40's but night temps can dip down into the 20's. I kept a heater in the bilge of my inboard, but short of erecting a hanger nothing will keep these engines warm.

I didn't winterize my engines last year and I don't plan on it this year either. I do try and run them at least once ever 30 days at a minimum and I keep the Startron and Stabil concentrations much higher than I do in summer.

Just curious what others in similar clime's do.
              Rodbolt basically has the same temps as you. But better Tuna fishing

Comment

I must have missed something about it being a V6 in his posts
                yes I have the V6 F300 but have heard the bigger F350 V8 has had issues with freezing if not stored off season properly.

Question I have for extreme cold use such as the coasties what do they do to keep the motors from freezing up while in service in severe cold weather climates.

Comment

Turn the motor off and it drains. Usually. If things aren't clogged.

Comment

Back in my younger days I did run out when ice was on the back lakes(marsh) and on the boat with small outboards, but I do not think I will ever do that anymore in my old age.

tilting the motor up and down when fresh out of the water (while still warm) should let all of the water drain out of the motor.

If it does not all drain there can be a problem.
                    dumping antifreeze in to the motors every time you bring it back would be a pain, but might be a good idea after flushing

Comment

Not that I worry about freezing temps, but I like to get all the water out of the engine after a flush.

I'll tilt the engine up FULLY and let drain fully. Then trim down fully and get another 1/3 of a gallon or so come out...
                      Scott
                      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

That's a great idea. I'll adopt that.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                          we use a fogging fuel mix that is roughly 1/2 gal of TCW3 two stroke oil,5 gallons of gas and fuel stabilizer. run the through the engine, it goes faster if you drain the VST and fuel cup. the V6 300 has not had much freezing issues but the V8 300 does. if your concerned then after running the fogging mix use your washdown or previously winterized fresh water to inject a few gallons of non toxic A/F via the onboard flush port. I also use crank case store n start in the engine oil to prevent rust on shiney parts.
                          Thanks for the response above to my thread.

I have a few additional questions for clarity regarding the procedure you posted.

1. I plan on running the engine on the main tank that includes stabilized fuel until normal operating temperature.

Is this right?

2. how long should I run engine on fogging fuel mixture?

3. If I drain the VST and fuel cup I heard it may need to be reprimed before I restart the engine. If so, how would this fit into the procedure you outlined?

I assume I would have to do this after the engine has reached normal operating temperature. Then run engine on fogging mixture. Would this be right?

4. Also, should I drain and refill water separator with fogging mixture ahead of the drained VST and fuel cup.

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

I have a few additional questions for clarity regarding the procedure you posted.

1. I plan on running the engine on the main tank that includes stabilized fuel until normal operating temperature.

Is this right?

2. how long should I run engine on fogging fuel mixture?

3. If I drain the VST and fuel cup I heard it may need to be reprimed before I restart the engine. If so, how would this fit into the procedure you outlined?

4. Also, should I drain and refill water separator with fogging mixture ahead of the drained VST and fuel cup.

Comment

why not drain VST and filters,
                              hook up to fogging mix tank,
                              pump primer bulb to fill filters and VST,
                              fire and let run till warmed up,
                              shut down and hook back up to main tank
                              ready to store.

you know at that point the mix is everywhere it needs to be

Comment

why not drain VST and filters,
                                hook up to fogging mix tank,
                                pump primer bulb to fill filters and VST,
                                fire and let run till warmed up,
                                shut down and hook back up to main tank
                                ready to store.

you know at that point the mix is everywhere it needs to be
                                This is a good idea.

Another forum and member suggested instead of the separate tank fogging mixture to empty the water separator fill back up with 1/2 fuel & 1/2 quality 2 stroke oil and do the same to the fuel cup before the VST.

procedure suggested;

"remove the water separator on the boat , dump the gas out if its a large yamaha style just dump half , fill it with decent 2 stroke oil and put it back on. pull the small fuel filter housing on the engine and dump the gas out. refill with 50/50 mix gas and 2 stroke oil. set up your muffs and bucket with -50 anti freeze about 4-5 gallons , start and run the engine and increase speed to about 1k. it will start and run then start smoking , as the anti freeze runs down rev it up and down just a bit to increase fuel flow and smoke. You may or may not use all the anti freeze but when you start getting it out the tell tale and exhaust you should have enough."

Anyone ever try that method. Just a thought because I am not sure I would burn all the fogging mixture in a separate tank and have it sitting around for another year to store and not be able to get rid of.

Comment

Working...
                                X