F300 2015 Winterizing Procedures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F300 2015 Winterizing Procedures

First year of ownership on this particular outboard and am getting ready to winterize.

Owners manual is quite vague to say the least

Anyone know the procedure for treating fuel system as far as running treatment through the engine.

I am familiar with other outboard winterizing standard procedures such as stabilizing fuel in tank, lower unit gear lube draining, fogging cylinders through spark plug holes, changing fuel filter/water separator greasing fittings and spline on prop shaft.

Also I have read that the F350 has a limited history at minimum of holding water and freezing does the 300 need any special procedures to prevent water being trapped and freezing.

Interested in hearing what others are doing in climates that require winter layup - other than moving further south Want to make sure I cover all the essentials.

Thanks in advance.

Not sure about the water retention issue as I have been told the outboards are self draining. I have in the past as a precaution ran some anti freeze through the water as the engine runs just before shutting off and then of course letting it drain but anything that might be left in a tube somewhere may have a little antifreeze in it. Rodbolt a Yamaha Master Mechanic has said they are self draining and don't need any special protection. The link below takes you to some new procedures as it has been stated on here on other threads that fogging oil doesn't get all the parts that running the fuel with additives according to the procedure listed will do, I believe Rod has said this is what he has been doing with Yamaha's. I plan on this procedure this year also. All your other items are according to I think the correct procedures.

http://www.marinemechanic.com/merc/d...foggingefi.PDF
    Dennis
    Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

Well I tried to respond to this post but our dear system sent it to the moderator so you may never see it???

Try this link for a procedure that has been discussed on here for this winterizing instead of spraying fogging oil etc. Your other procedures all appear to be correct.

Dennis
      Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

From this site:

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...e-th11622.html
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Rodbolt has done many large motors in his time and he has posted before on what all they do.
          If he does not respond you may have to look thru his posts on a winterizing search

seems he said something about 300 or maybe the 350 before not always draining well and freeze damage so they use antifreeze
          Last edited by 99yam40; 10-29-2017, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
            Rodbolt has done many large motors in his time and he has posted before on what all they do.
            If he does not respond you may have to look thru his posts on a winterizing search

seems he said something about 300 or maybe the 350 before not always draining well and freeze damage so they use antifreeze
            Wonder if Rod was referring to the 300 V8?

Comment

Originally posted by dray0151 View Post
              Well I tried to respond to this post but our dear system sent it to the moderator so you may never see it???

Try this link for a procedure that has been discussed on here for this winterizing instead of spraying fogging oil etc. Your other procedures all appear to be correct.

Hit your back button and the missing post should reappear. Then try and guess what the offensive language is. Delete what you think may be causing the problem, or try rewording it, and then try again. Repeat the process until it works.

Linking to other websites seems to cause most of the problems. I can see where boats.net would have a problem with us telling someone to buy their Yamaha parts from Joe's Yamaha shop.

Comment

Are you asking about purely winterization tasks or are you asking about combining routine annual maintenance with the winterization of a motor? Sometimes the two go hand in hand. According to some anyway. For instance, the lower unit gear oil might need to be changed merely to ensure fresh oil is installed but also to verify that there is no water in the lower unit that might freeze and break something.

Are you a maintenance junky or do you want to do the minimum required?

Yamaha USA guidance can be found here.

Yamaha Maintenance Matters » A guide for the longevity of your outboard

Keep in mind that the specific location where a motor will be winterized affects what might need to be done. Winterization in Barrow, Alaska (freezing cold, super dry air) is different from winterization (warm/not so cold cycles in more humid air) in Tallahassee, Florida.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                  Wonder if Rod was referring to the 300 V8?
                  F300 and F350 V8's are essentially one and the same motor. Early exhaust manifolds were prone to cracking. Jury is still out as to whether it is weather related or poor manufacturing related.

Damn, I coulda had a V8. Actually, I am glad I don't.

Comment

we use a fogging fuel mix that is roughly 1/2 gal of TCW3 two stroke oil,5 gallons of gas and fuel stabilizer. run the through the engine, it goes faster if you drain the VST and fuel cup. the V6 300 has not had much freezing issues but the V8 300 does. if your concerned then after running the fogging mix use your washdown or previously winterized fresh water to inject a few gallons of non toxic A/F via the onboard flush port. I also use crank case store n start in the engine oil to prevent rust on shiney parts.

Comment

Really appreciate the responses.

1st year of ownership and have done a fair amount of reading/research and asking questions. Heard varying accounts of freezing even for the V6 so I plan on accounting for this.

As far as fogging some say portable tank others through plug openings and some have said fogging can potentially hydro lock the engine.

For doubling down on freezing I have heard you can run compressed air through the flush port or go with the portable tank full of RV antifreeze.

Trying not to over think it and at the same time want to cover all bases. I have always winterized all my other outboards DFI's and non DFI's and enjoy knowing it's done right and gaining knowledge of the workings of the engine.

So as your own methods I do appreciate the help.

Thanks again

Comment

the V8 motors have very small drain holes at the bottom of the cyl heads. they can clog.
                        if they do the cyl head cracks.
                        the next time you run it it gets nasty.
                        DO NOT spray ANY liquid down the intake.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                          Are you asking about purely winterization tasks or are you asking about combining routine annual maintenance with the winterization of a motor? Sometimes the two go hand in hand. According to some anyway. For instance, the lower unit gear oil might need to be changed merely to ensure fresh oil is installed but also to verify that there is no water in the lower unit that might freeze and break something.

Are you a maintenance junky or do you want to do the minimum required?

Yamaha USA guidance can be found here.

Yamaha Maintenance Matters » A guide for the longevity of your outboard

Keep in mind that the specific location where a motor will be winterized affects what might need to be done. Winterization in Barrow, Alaska (freezing cold, super dry air) is different from winterization (warm/not so cold cycles in more humid air) in Tallahassee, Florida.
                          Purely winterizing since cold weather is about to get going here in the upper Midwest.

Maintenance is also high my list of course. I will really delve into that research part in the off season and address those items early on next season.

Comment

Op needs to pay attention to what Rodbolt wrote about the V8s heads not draining completely sometimes since he is in a cold climate.
                            Using some antifreeze would be a good idea

Comment

yes definitely going to account for the freezing potential

Comment

Working...
                              X