Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yamaha 2005 tilt trim-what r ball bearings used for in tilt trim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 2005 tilt trim-what r ball bearings used for in tilt trim?

In disassembling my 2005 Yamaha tilt trim, I noticed there were 5 ball bearings floating around loose at the bottom of my tilt trim. however, there are 6 holes at the bottom of the piston. does this require 5 or 6 ball bearings? what are the ball bearings used for? much thanks for your help with this.

see item 15(ball bearings) on this schematic. https://www.simyamaha.com/category_s...rt-category=60

Comment

Your motor uses a "tilt within a trim" cylinder. It has single ram and a "cylinder within a cylinder". The inner cylinder also functions as a piston of sorts. The inner cylinder/piston has the main piston/ram located within.

The inner cylinder is the part with the six spring loaded balls in it. As the cylinder rises (during the trim function) when it gets to the full up trim position the six balls move outward into a groove that is machined in the inner wall of the main cylinder. Those balls move into the groove and lock the inner cylinder/piston in place.

Capiche? Not so easily explained.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
        Your motor uses a "tilt within a trim" cylinder. It has single ram and a "cylinder within a cylinder". The inner cylinder also functions as a piston of sorts. The inner cylinder/piston has the main piston/ram located within.

The inner cylinder is the part with the six spring loaded balls in it. As the cylinder rises (during the trim function) when it gets to the full up trim position the six balls move outward into a groove that is machined in the inner wall of the main cylinder. Those balls move into the groove and lock the inner cylinder/piston in place.

ABSOLUTELY, EXCELLENT EXPLANATION. THANKS a bunch. that is very interesting...Bob

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

Interesting. I assume there is some sort of back pressure that forces the balls to move back and unlock the cylinder. Guess that would be the only way?

Comment

The 64,000 dollar question is where is original ball 6? I believe you said there were 5 in the bottom of the cylinder.

Comment

rolling across the floor somewhere if it was mine

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                rolling across the floor somewhere if it was mine
                Where you won't find it till six months later!
                Scott
                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                X