Replaced impeller and housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replaced impeller and housing

I installed a new impeller with housing and new gaskets. When flushing the engine, I notice water is coming out of the hole that the gear cable leads out of. I don't think water should be coming out of this hole. Water is coming out correctly in the other places and i idled it for several minutes. Should water be coming out of the gear cable hole and will it really matter as long as it is coming out in all the correct other places? I'm not sure why water is coming out above the lower unit where it bolts on.

It'd help a whole bunch if we knew what BRAND, TYPE, MODEL, HP, YEAR, etc engine were talking about.

And no, water coming out a hole intended for a cable doesn't sound right.

That cables life will be significantly shortened.

If water's making it under the cowl, the engine will be sucking it in which will also shorten it's life significantly..

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 10-21-2017, 06:16 AM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

never saw a lower unit that had a gear cable coming out of it

Comment

Could be a Chrysler from the 60s

Comment

1999 TLRX 115 2 stroke engine. I believe the cable is part of the shift cam assembly. The gear selector exits the lower unit and this is where water is coming out and rolling down the outside of the lower unit. This picture shows the stream of water in the attached files if I did this correctly. Thanks
          Attached Files

Comment

Now you get to do it all over again. I am guessing an oring may have slipped out of place during reassembly. Use gobs of grease to stick them in place so you can get it back together.

Comment

Yeah, you missed something on the reassembly. That's a lot of water to be escaping. Could be the water tube, the impeller housing - any number of things, I suppose. Definitely DO NOT run the boat. There's a good chance there won't be enough water getting to the engine under higher RPM's.
              Last edited by DennisG01; 10-21-2017, 11:15 AM.
              2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
              1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

I think you may be right. I have it apart now looking over everything. Looks ok but im am going through the process one more time and will reassemmble to see if i can stop it from coming out there. Thank you for your input. I am putting the grease on and tightening up!

Comment

make sure at the end of the water tube where it goes into the water pump housing has the rubber grommet/dampener in there to seal the tube to housing.

If you had a overheating problem, you may have melted the plastic housing some. look it over close, and replace if you see any signs of melting or distortion.

Comment

I don't see any dampener. That definitely would make a difference. I did have some melting in the housing and replaced it with a new one. Thank you for the feedback. I will look into this. Sounds like a solution to the problem

Comment

***, I just looked at the parts diagram. I did not have the 2 water seal dampers or the water pump housing cover when I removed the old one. I don't know what happened to them and since they were not there, I didn't realize they were missing. That should definitely take care of the problem. Thank you 99yam40.

Comment

Working...
                      X