Seastar Hydraulic Steering problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seastar Hydraulic Steering problem

Ok guys I know this isn't really a Yamaha product but im sure a few of you know what to look for. I bought a used Seastar Hydraulic steering kit for my 225. I went to install it last night and started the bleeding process. I first hooked up the lines wrong then found out they need to be opposite. I can get the motor to turn all the way to the left and bottom out no problem with clear fluid coming out of the bleed screw. Closed that off then go to turn back to the right and it wont do anything the wheel just keeps spinning and spinning. I ran almost 4 quarts of fluid through it thinking I Just needed to keep bleading it but nothing. Any help would be awesome.

are you sure you are bleeding correctly? and make sure you keep the helm supplied with fluid so it doesn't run empty

pages 2-5 :

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/wp-c...5/200017-B.pdf

Comment

Yes, it seems like there is some kind of check valve that is stuck or something.

Comment

Follow the Sea Star directions. Did you loosen the bleed valve on the "right side" and dump 4 quarts through that? 4 quarts of Sea Star is about $120. Hope you recovered it?

Comment

I bled both sides till I had a nice steady flow with no bubbles coming out, but the motor still would not turn to the right. I can get it to turn to the right with the steering wheel if I open both bleeder screws. Once you close the bleeders screws the motor will turn back to the left all the way but then wont back back to the right again.

Comment

I've heard of a process of "popping" the check valves. Poor description on my part. I would call whatever tech support at Sea Star and get their advice. Not a real complicated system. But I haven't experienced your issue.

Comment

Ok update on the situation, I can get the motor to turn the other way now, but the bleeder has to be open and the steering wheel still keeps free spinning, if you close it the motor stops turning. I bled the system all the way and no more air would come out of either side. I’m thinking that spool valve is stuck to one side.

Comment

Also would like to add that I tried moving the motor side to side once I bled it and the motor would not move. If I had a bad Seal for the position inside the cylinder wouldn’t the motor be able to move side to side? Just trying to rule out a bad cylinder.

Comment

The helm unit will bleed air as well, set up an inverted bottle of fluid above it, like an IV. Turning the wheel back and forth with the piston bleeders closed will expel air in the helm unit. Skip the seastar fluid, power steering fluid from an auto parts store works just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by scofflaw View Post
                    The helm unit will bleed air as well, set up an inverted bottle of fluid above it, like an IV. Turning the wheel back and forth with the piston bleeders closed will expel air in the helm unit. Skip the seastar fluid, power steering fluid from an auto parts store works just fine.
                    I did have a bottle for the helm to bleed into, I had a lot of air come out of it. I am also using Dextron.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillips_211 View Post
                      I can get the motor to turn the other way now, but the bleeder has to be open
                      sounds like a problem with a valve in the helm.

The ram is absolutely simple, just a single piston in the center. No valves (except the bleeders) - no other moving parts.

When you turn the helm wheel , it pumps fluid into one side - BUT -
                      for every molecule of fluid pumped into one side,
                      a molecule has to exit the other side -
                      it has to return to the helm.

If the ram only moves when you open a bleeder, then you are successfully pumping fluid in -
                      that means there is a fault in the helm preventing fluid from returning from the other side of the piston.

Comment

Thanks for the help, I will update once the problem is fixed.

Comment

I have had great success with seastar tech support over the phone Andrew via email. Contact them directly as they will have the problem narrowed down pretty quick.

Comment

Update: I was working on the boat last night and looked over at the steering wheel and thought to myself maybe if I **** the steering wheel hard to the side it wont turn it might start working. Sure enough I grabbed the steering wheel and bumped it really hard to the side it wouldn't turn and you could hear something break loose. Im assuming it was the spool valve that was stuck to one side. I still think it needs attention because I can hear the valve moving left and right when I turn the wheel.

Comment

Never had one apart but I suspect it can be rebuilt.

Steering is something you don't want to guess if it's working correctly..

I also would suspect it's not terribly complicated inside...
                              Scott
                              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                              X