Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Castrol 5W-30 - 2004 F60 Yamaha 4 stroke

Someone gave me a gallon.
    Can I safely use it in my outboard over the winter ?
    sorry if it's a dumb question, have always used 10W-30

There are no dumb questions...just answers you don't know and trying to find out.

What does your owners manual have to say about it?

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
      There are no dumb questions...
      Clearly, you haven't been reading my posts.

Comment

There are no dumb questions...just answers you don't know and trying to find out.

What does your owners manual have to say about it?
        10W-30 is the recommended oil,
        I would like to know if I can use the 5W-30 ?

Comment

Assuming it is API rated 4-stroke oil, you can use 5W-30

If you are interested, here is a link to a very long but excellent read

which lays out the differences - and the disconnect - between viscosity and film strength

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/201...-test-ranking/

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
            Assuming it is API rated 4-stroke oil, you can use 5W-30

If you are interested, here is a link to a very long but excellent read

which lays out the differences - and the disconnect - between viscosity and film strength

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/201...-test-ranking/
            I agree with Fairdeal. And it is a log read for sure but very interesting so far.

Although your owners manual recommends 10w-30, or 10w-40....It is up to you on this.

Comment

I agree with Fairdeal. And it is a log read for sure but very interesting so far.

Although your owners manual recommends 10w-30, or 10w-40....It is up to you on this.
              Is that like a log road? You folks have log roads up their in the Godforsaken frozen north I understand. Less buckling maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                Is that like a log road? You folks have log roads up their in the Godforsaken frozen north I understand. Less buckling maybe.
                No, it is something you would read while on the toilet.
                2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

I am sure you all know he just left off the N in long to make that log.

Log roads that I know of are just dirt or gravel roads they haul logs down to get out of the woods.
                  Not sure how they help to keep from buckling

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                    Yes and we all live in igloos...or log cabins if you got money.

But way, way up north they do use logs on parts of the road to keep your truck from being swallowed up in muck in the spring...it's called a corduroy road.

Comment

Yes and we all live in igloos...or log cabins if you got money.

But way, way up north they do use logs on parts of the road to keep your truck from being swallowed up in muck in the spring...it's called a corduroy road.
                      The key there is to drive a company owned vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                        I am sure you all know he just left off the N in long to make that log.
                        Yeah, but there's no humor in being logical.
                        2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                        1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Working...
                        X