Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1988 70 ETLG Overheating - Damper seal????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 70 ETLG Overheating - Damper seal????

I am trying to help a friend get a new to him motor running right. Right now it is overheating at idle. It will not overheat if running out. I've never worked on a motor this old or in this hp range. I have no idea who had it apart before he got it.

We replaced the impeller, metal cup in the impeller housing.............all the stuff in the water pump rebuild kit that he bought.

Right now, it has the water tube that comes down going straight into the plastic water pump housing. Looking at the parts diagram on here it looks like there should be at least one, maybe two damper seals between the housing and water tube. Is that correct? Parts 14(663-44367-00-00) and 15(663-44366-00-00) on this diagram?

http://www.crowleymarine.com/yp/MH33...etlg-1988-70hp

Thanks
    Last edited by Two Stroke Smoke; 10-11-2017, 10:13 PM.

With those seals missing the water tube won't seal where the tube enters the water pump housing. At idle the pump probably can't over come the leak and won't push enough water up the tube to the engine. Once you come off idle the pump will have much more flow and be able to overcome the leak and supply enough water to cool the engine.

You can take out the thermostat and run the engine briefly at idle (leg in water...not on muffs) and see if any water is making it to the top of the block.

Long story short...replace the missing seals and try again.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
      With those seals missing the water tube won't seal where the tube enters the water pump housing. At idle the pump probably can't over come the leak and won't push enough water up the tube to the engine. Once you come off idle the pump will have much more flow and be able to overcome the leak and supply enough water to cool the engine.

You can take out the thermostat and run the engine briefly at idle (leg in water...not on muffs) and see if any water is making it to the top of the block.

Long story short...replace the missing seals and try again.
      Thanks. That's what I was thinking after looking at the diagram.

Comment

I took the lower unit off this morning. Part #15 in that diagram is in the water pump housing but I don't see parts #13 or #14 anywhere. Am I correct in thinking that they go between the water tube and water pump housing?

Comment

Have a read of this post , it may help you out

1990 ProV 150 Overheating

Comment

Originally posted by Two Stroke Smoke View Post
            I took the lower unit off this morning. Part #15 in that diagram is in the water pump housing but I don't see parts #13 or #14 anywhere. Am I correct in thinking that they go between the water tube and water pump housing?
            As said the seals need to be there, yes you are correct.

Are items #1 and #2 there?

Comment

You are going to have to go by the parts diagram for assembly as I just looked through the entire Service manual and could find a assy break down of the water tube....

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                As said the seals need to be there, yes you are correct.

Are items #1 and #2 there?
                Yes, and they have been cleaned.

We got those pieces today and put them on the motor. I guess they are on there right. Ran the motor for about 30 minutes, came back to dock, let it idle for 30 minutes, ran it again, let idle for another 20 minutes.................no alarm. Hopefully it is fixed.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
                X