Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YAmaha 2strk Oil Screen Gasket

Hi all -

New member here, I just bought an 03 Century 1901 Bay, with an 05 150TXRD.

I have been cruising the threads looking for advice on what to service on it. I like to do a full go-through on used engines, to have a fresh starting point.

One post I saw mentioned that after removing and cleaning the oil screen in the engine oil tank, that I had to replace the gasket at the bottom.

I dont mind replacing, its just a few bucks, but what I could not figure was if I need to do anything special to get it to seal? It just sits on the plastic tube at the bottom of the screen, and I assume it seats against the exit port at the bottom of the tank and keeps crud from going into the oil tube that feeds the pump.

Do I need to make sure that its seated somehow? It slides freely on that tube, I dont see what purpose it serves unless its somehow getting seated in the oil port at the bottom of the tank.

The original post was from a few years ago by Rodbolt17, if you are still on the forum.

Thanks in advance for the help!

The seal normally resides on the nipple that is part of the oil screen. The seal will normally come out when the screen is removed. It is only when the seal gets stuck down in the oil tank that a problem arises. Then the seal must be fished from the tank and either reinstalled on the nipple or thrown away and replaced with a new seal.

https://www.google.com/search?q=claw...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Comment

if you will notice the FILTER area of it does NOT go to the bottom. that is why I say completely drain the tank BEFORE removing said screen. otherwise any debris in the tank gets dumped down the oil pump intake.
      that seal is for any debris/water that makes it past the remote tank.
      I have seen way to many two strokes puke a rod cause the seal stayed on the tank and got jammed down the intake hose on reassemply.
      your motor, do as you wish.

Comment

Working...
      X