Engine needs starting fluid to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine needs starting fluid to start

Fir sine reason my boat only starts if I use starting fluid...I don't spray it much but it was the only way I could get it started two days when I went down to the boat.once it stars I can turn of and restart with no problems. Any ideas on what I can check to see what the deal is? Thank you

my thoughts would be lack of fuel when cold starting

Comment

Depending on what motor you have I'd guess the choke/fuel enrichening device(like Primestart or other) is not working properly....a motor wants/needs a rich fuel mixture for cold starts....

Comment

Getting old sucks.

Comment

Oh ,by the way it normally helps if you post what motor you are talking about

Comment

just keep spray Ether and then post about the wiped piston.

Comment

Sorry it's a 2003 Yamaha 130 txrb. When pushing in the key to start is that using the fuel enrichment in the air silencer box? What actually happens when you push key in? Thank you
              Last edited by Yamaha3535; 10-11-2017, 02:05 AM.

Comment

looking at a parts breakdown of the carbs they look like choke plats on them.
                so you need to take the silencer off and watch when pushing the key in to see if they are closing as they should

Comment

the 03 130 used a choke solenoid mounted on the air box.
                  you can have an assistant push the key in and observe the motion.

Comment

Thanks will do

Comment

Sounds like the problem I had until I rebuilt the carbs a few times and replaced the tank and fuel lines. The fuel system was fouled and undid my work upon key turn. Once fouled, no amount of carb cleaner or fuel treatment will resolve the issue.

Comment

Working...
                      X