Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1993 115TLRR Fuel Gremlin

Hello all,

Had the boat out today after fixing an overheating issue. I replaced the t-stats and the pressure control valve (spring, grommet and valve), ran some salt-way for four days to take out all the gunk i found after removing the t-stats. I came short from removing the heads covers and cleaning them. The boat ran fine for about one hour. I had her cruising at 5000rpm and topped her at about 35mph (not sustained).

When i came to the no-wake zone near the landing, after i slowed down, the engine bogged down and shut off. I tried starting her out a few times and it cranked, but would not stay firing. I tried pumping the bulb while starting her, but it still wouldn't stay cranked. Got towed back to the landing and now i am home. This is what i have done so far:
    -Had a drink
    -Checked the lines, no leaks.
    -Checked and replaced the fuel/water separator. No water in the fuel, some corrosion on the lip and inside, but nothing too major.
    -Disconnected the line coming our of the fuel pump, turned the key, and fuel came out.

Past issues:
    -I did have water getting into my fuel tank, but that was fixed by draining the tank, filling it with clean fuel, and adding alcohol-based additive to dissolve the water. The water was coming in through the fuel tank vent hole. I fixed by adding a flush vent hole, a longer hose, and making a loop.
    -Because of the water issue, carburetors were pretty gunked up, so I had them cleaned.
    -As i mentioned earlier, the overheating issue was dealt with.

Notes:
    -When i pump the bulb, it is not getting hard. So maybe a fuel feeding issue?
    -Someone recommended spraying some fuel in the carbs to spark it...not sure about that.

Even after i did all that, the same issue. I crank it, and it start for about 2-3 seconds and then shuts off. And yes, the fuel tank is full (that was my first thought).

I appreciate any comments or recommendations you all can provide.

Cheers!
    Last edited by calope52; 10-09-2017, 11:10 PM.

primer bulb should get firm/hard, if it will not then system is either sucking air , pumps leaking into crankcase, or floats are not sealing the needle into the seats.
    Fuel is going somewhere if the pumps /primer are pumping fuel and not air

Comment

Bulb not getting hard

Ok, so i'd start working consequentially. First, the tank is full, so the bulb shouldn't be sucking air, but it isn't getting hard. So, should i disconnect fuel line coming out of the bulb and see if either fuel or air is coming out of there? I did notice some fuel and oil mix leaking from carburetor cover. There must be a leak there...i'd investigate further and post what i find. Thanks for getting my brain turning.

Comment

Working...
      X