Solar power to Perko 1-2-BOTH to Batts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar power to Perko 1-2-BOTH to Batts

Hey smart guys, learn me if this is a dumb idea.
    I am trying to figure out how to put a dedicated Perko switch in for my solar charger. This is a stand alone switch, and has no bearing on the 2 main battery switches. These are identical Perko's.

Two options:

#1.
    Current from 100W solar panel on T-Top flows to Charge Con*****er (CC).

CC output goes to the COMMON lug on the back of a Perko Switch.

Batteries ONE and TWO are hooked to the 1 and 2 lugs on the back of the Perko switch.

Before I start the boat, I select OFF.
    When I leave the boat, I select ALL. Both batteries receive current. However, both are tied should one fail, it takes the other.

#2.

Current from 100W solar panel flows to the CC.

CC output is split into TWO wires. One wire goes to BATT 1 directly. The second wire goes to one of the two input lugs on the perko. Lets say 2 for example. The COMMON lug on the perko goes to the second battery.

When I leave the boat, I select 2 on that perko and send the V to the second battery. I'm trying to find a way to isolate them, yet charge them both.

And, I don't that option 2 will do that due to the connections.

Am I tokin' the bud on this arrangement? Seems to me that either / or is easily accomplished but as soon as I wire the second battery up, its wired to the first.

'Lectrics and I don't generally see eye to eye.

Could you not just put a simple "On/Off" marine switch between the two batteries to isolate them? In the ON position both batteries are connected together ready for normal use through your main switch. In the OFF position, when you leave the boat, and you want the solar panel to charge the batteries they are separated.

Wire the charge con*****er output (split) directly to both batteries, now you are charging two separate batteries...at once.

Comment

Combiner 100 Sheet

If the solar charger does not have a disconnect switch, you would want a simple switch for that;

otherwise, just connect the CC output to both batteries via a Yandina Combiner

when the panel is providing charge current, it is offered to both batteries

once the charging voltage is removed, they are effectively disconnected from each other

Comment

Working...
      X