Oooops.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oooops.

I was in the middle of the Apalachicola river one time with no one around. Not anywhere near anything. I was fiddling with something on the dash. Motor was in gear at idle. I hear a bump. I had run directly into a buoy in the middle of the river. The only buoy within miles. I swear the boat would auto-turn towards the nearest object if I was not paying attention.

The article below reminded me of my own folly. His was a much more expensive fix.

Hahaha "probable cause" it says....I think it was difinite cause....lol

Comment

Reckon the old pilot's rule #1, "fly the plane" has to include during ground operations/taxiing....simple as that! This same rule goes for driving a car or truck!....

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
        Reckon the old pilot's rule #1, "fly the plane" has to include during ground operations/taxiing....simple as that! This same rule goes for driving a car or truck!....
        Or a boat!!!

Comment

Newgulf Tx where I grew up the sulfur mining plant had very tall brick smoke stacks for there boilers that created super heated water to pump down into the ground to melt the sulfur.

anyway there was a small airplane flying around one day circling and it ran smack dab straight into one of the stacks. the stack did not give any.
          not sure if it was by mistake or not. Plane and pilot did not do well

a few years ago one of Brazoria County's mosquito control(spaying) planes clipped a cell tower and crashed into a pasture killing a bull and some cows. pilot walked away from it thou.

pilots of anything moving need to pay attention when it is moving on the ground, water, or in the air
          Last edited by 99yam40; 10-05-2017, 05:30 PM.

Comment

no. texting is way more important than paying attention.
            gotta pay attention to that electronic do hicky.
            it may save a life.

Comment

They had a thing on the radio this am about the guy needing/using a rental car..

With all the new gadgets, screens, gizmos, camera's, alarms, etc, he had to pull over just to figure out how to turn on the radio...

Talk about distractions....

BTW, I won't have a car without a KEY... Just more crap to break...
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

It is VERY VERY easy to not notice an airplane moving, particularly in larger airplanes, and when that movement is very, very slow. The posted event does not surprise me a bit.

Ten bucks says that ten airliners world wide, per day, have unintended movement. In most cases, they think that the parking brake is set, but its not. In other cases, while the brake appears set (proper position) it is not. Its not like your car, where the pedal is attached to a cable which is attached to the brake mechanism itself. There are linkage issues, hydraulic's, and gozinta's involved.

Shit happens. Sometimes bad shit.

WRT texting, I read yesterday that you are twice as likely to be involved in an accident while texting than you are while under the influence.
                Last edited by oldmako69; 10-06-2017, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oldmako69 View Post
                  It is VERY VERY easy to not notice an airplane moving, particularly in larger airplanes, and when that movement is very, very slow. The posted event does not surprise me a bit.

Ten bucks says that ten airliners world wide, per day, have unintended movement. In most cases, they think that the parking brake is set, but its not. In other cases, while the brake appears set (proper position) it is not. Its not like your car, where the pedal is attached to a cable which is attached to the brake mechanism itself. There are linkage issues, hydraulic's, and gozinta's involved.

WRT texting, I read yesterday that you are twice as likely to be involved in an accident while texting than you are while under the influence.
                  I believe it, especially down here... I love to blown the horn on the bike and scare the $hit out of em.. Then wave an arm as in WTH??

And then get as far away as possible from these idiots...
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

At least someone is trying to pay attention when drunk. Sometimes not good enough...

Comment

I would say ten a day is low balling it...Airplane parking brakes are notorious bad for bleeding off pressure. They are not intended to keep it in the one spot for long...that's what chocks are for. I learned a long time ago to never trust the park brake when the aircraft was shut down and the hydraulic pumps where not running to keep the brake pressure up. You leave one on a slight grade overnight with no chocks and it might be in the same spot in the morning....might is the key word.

Way to many hydraulic line fittings in the brake system that can and will leak. I have spent many, many shifts trying to track down a bleeding down park brake system. Most maintenance manuals have an allowable leak down time to a certain pressure and it is isn't as long as you would think. Use the chocks.

Comment

Working...
                      X