Nothing is easy....screw removal...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nothing is easy....screw removal...

Trying to disassemble the low pressure pumps on my F150TXRD. One of the three screws on each pump is being stubborn. Hit it pretty hard with the impact driver and no movement. Scared to hit it any harder. It is the rusty screw in picture and it has a nut recessed on the other side.

Any ideas on removal?

left handed drill bit -

or better yet, if you have a drill press, drill it from the back side

Comment

The ole butane torch has never let me down when all else has failed. If you've got automatic transmission fluid handy, squirt a little over the screw head and on underside threads. ATF is nonflammable, so it's safe to use as a high heat lubricant. Heat cycle the screw....ATF-torch-let cool-attempt to unscrew-repeat.
      Jason
      1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Aero Kroil.

Or, ATF and Acetone. Let it sit a while. Then the impact.

Comment

I just drill the heads off and buy a new screw.
          it is that simple.

Comment

Plastic housing concerns me in using the torch. Drilling the screwheads may be the quickest way.

Comment

Well, you will still need to extract the shaft of the old screw. Which might not work if its corroded as well. So, its not really as easy as you make it sound. Its certainly not as easy as backing the screw out following the application of some miracle jizz, if thats an option after treating the screw.

Comment

This particular screw is really a bolt of sorts. It is retained with the nut, not the threaded shaft.

Comment

Well, then I'll just go away for a while. Thought it was a screw.

Comment

I should have called it a bolt.

Really a half-assed bolt at best.

Half-assed and still costs $8 for it and nut...

Comment

Originally posted by oldmako69 View Post
                      Well, then I'll just go away for a while. Thought it was a screw.
                      Screws do not normally have recessed nuts on the back side like this one does.
                      But then there are what are called machine screws that do

Comment

Drill the heads off. To make this simply to do and keep you on center... get yourself a carbide burr (see picture) Mount the burr in you cordless drill, on slow, and going straight down with the drill using the tip of the burr, cut the Phillip's recess out of the screw.

Hold the drill tightly to start as it will want to skip off to the side. Once it gets going the burr will self center on the screw. Now you are left with a nice round recess in the head of the screw to which you can start your drill bit off ON CENTER Drill head off.

I have done this literally a thousand times. Seems like it comes up here quite often..
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                          Plastic housing concerns me in using the torch. Drilling the screwheads may be the quickest way.
                          Is that what the black color is, plastic? Looked like painted metal..boy i think it's time for an eye exam I see the nut is encased in a steel body thread. So if you have a pinpoint torch this would suffice as well as save the plastic from lighting up. It's not a large bore bolt so it won't take much heat to dissolve the corrosion.

I don't disagree with most other suggestions here, I just prefer to unseize a bolt with heat....less work compared to drilling it out, saves the female threads from notching, etc. Oh, and it's also more fun lighting things on fire.
                          Jason
                          1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Yes, black is plastic. I like heat too. My little torch died the other day.

Gonna order some screws and finish this project when I get back from Texas.

Thanks for all the replies!

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                              Drill the heads off. To make this simply to do and keep you on center... get yourself a carbide burr (see picture) Mount the burr in you cordless drill, on slow, and going straight down with the drill using the tip of the burr, cut the Phillip's recess out of the screw.

Hold the drill tightly to start as it will want to skip off to the side. Once it gets going the burr will self center on the screw. Now you are left with a nice round recess in the head of the screw to which you can start your drill bit off ON CENTER Drill head off.

I have done this literally a thousand times. Seems like it comes up here quite often..
                              Like the burr....

Comment

Working...
                              X