No announcement yet.

Engine leaks down (tilt, not trim)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dennis are you planning to take this T/T apart yourself?

If so, please take a bunch of pictures to post so we can see all the bits and pieces of this hydraulic unit. If so inclined.

I myself would be very interested.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
      61-A is the model of the unit. the memory piston rides just below the tilt piston and follows it until a fwd impact.
      at impact the memory piston sits in its original location while the tilt piston moves up then drops back onto the memory piston.
      61-A... OK, gotcha. Boy, I was looking all over the parts diagram for the trim/tilt assembly and I could not, for the life of me, find a "61-A". And "61" is a snap ring, which I was sure wasn't what you were talking about! Thanks! "Memory"... makes sense, thanks again.
      2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
      1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
        Dennis are you planning to take this T/T apart yourself?

If so, please take a bunch of pictures to post so we can see all the bits and pieces of this hydraulic unit. If so inclined.

I myself would be very interested.

Thanks
        Yes, at this point, that is my plan. I will try and document the process the best I can. The plan is to get to the boat sometime between May and early June (I'm in PA, the boat is in ME). I've got lot's to do at the cabins, and don't really need to put the boat in the water just yet, so I'll remove the whole assembly and bring it home with me... On the assumption that I can do that without removing the engine from the boat. Rod, can I do that? It's not that I can't remove the engine, but by the time I buy/rent a hoist or build a gantry, I don't know if I'll have enough time. Although, I don't think it would really take all that much time to remove the engine, would it? Disconnect the steering, unbolt the engine, rotate it 90* to access the trim/tilt assembly? There's enough slack in the wiring/rigging tube so I don't think that should be a problem.

Comment

So... thinking more about this... Higher up on the list is splitting the gearcase to change the impeller. Seems fruitless to do the tilt job right now when I can just use the tilt bar when on the mooring. If I can eventually get the gearcase split (or end up cutting the driveshaft), then I'll come back to the tilt (or, if it starts to get worse where it won't tilt up).
          Last edited by DennisG01; 05-31-2018, 03:44 PM.

Comment

I decided to look at trying to remove the trim/tilt assembly again. I couldn't find any definitive information on whether it could be done without taking the engine off the transom. But looking closely at it, it "appeared" that it should be able to be done so I decided to give it a shot. Well... turns out in less than 30-minutes I had it out! 'Course it helps that not a SINGLE bolt gave me any problems! I'll make a new post, shortly, on the process - but just wanted to update this thread. Also, as an update, adding more ATF solved the leak down issue for the time being. I've got the assembly at home with me, in Allentown, and bought the seals necessary to rebuild it from SIM. So I'll get to that sometime over the Winter.

Last edited by DennisG01; 10-23-2018, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X