• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just purchased an old

Hi
    One of the reasons I just 2 days ago bought a little boat was the engine,
    YAMAHA.
    The brand that outboarded Evinrude.

But the engine was told to be from year 1979 which already told me that it was no value.

My issue now is to determine the age and find spares.

I saw this code as I think is model and serienumber.

Yamaha 28 on the hood.

on the plate on the rig: 28A 664L 46916

I cannot solve this - seems that the letter L does not correspond to a year. And it seems there are no manufacturing before year 1984?

Is there a hope for this client doctor?

Originally posted by Galento51 View Post
    Hi
    One of the reasons I just 2 days ago bought a little boat was the engine,
    YAMAHA.
    The brand that outboarded Evinrude.

But the engine was told to be from year 1979 which already told me that it was no value.

My issue now is to determine the age and find spares.

I saw this code as I think is model and serienumber.

Yamaha 28 on the hood.

on the plate on the rig: 28A 664L 46916

I cannot solve this - seems that the letter L does not correspond to a year. And it seems there are no manufacturing before year 1984?

Is there a hope for this client doctor?
    664L 46916 is the complete engine identification.

The letter L denotes the shaft length. L = 25".

Yamaha outboards have been available since the early 70's. Maybe further back. However, they were not offered in the USA until 1984. If you are looking at a Yamaha USA parts catalog you won't find models in there that predate 1984.

Not sure why you think the motor would have no value. Does it start, idle and run well? Someone, somewhere might love to have it. I had a 1981 Mercury two stroke and while NADA did not value it much, I valued it a lot. It was a great motor. Always started withing two pulls, powered my boat just fine, and never left me stranded. It just kept on ticking.
    Last edited by boscoe99; 08-19-2017, 12:55 PM.

Comment

check with your local Yamaha dealer, I am sure they have info in Sweden on your old Yamaha even tho we do not here in the USA

Comment

Here in Aus we had Yamahas in the '70s, though most were badged as Mariner, I guess it was before the Mercury/Mariner thing? There was a twin cylinder 55HP that was extremely popular and very reliable.

Comment

Thank you Boscoe !
          Valueable info indeed. So the truth might rather lie in Nippon or somewhere but not in US.

I agree that an engine that starts willingly and runs fine has a value also for selling. Yamaha brand on the hood was a factor that told me there might be some remaining quality.
          In order to find that out I want to change eg impeller, gaskets, hoses... And therefore I need to find the right spares.

Comment

Yes I have tried to get an answer but so far nothing. But Sweden as summer holidays until now.

Comment

This one is 2 cyl and supposed to deliver 28 hp

Comment

Take a look at this 1978 28 HP Yamaha. Find the part number you need. Then buy from this website, if available, for best possible pricing.

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/servic...-uk/index.aspx

Comment

Working...
                X