2003 f115 not pumping water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 f115 not pumping water

I've bought a project boat a few months ago. Started it up for the first time and everything was fine, started it a few days ago and now it's not pumping water. Should it be pumping water on initial startup or is there thermostats that need to open first?

Thermostats don't need to be open for water to come out of a Yamaha tell tale.

Was the boat in the water when it was tested? If not, the test was useless.

Might take up to maybe a minute for water to flow out. Be patient. But in the meantime you can check the tell tale hole. Critters are known to go inside to make a home.

Comment

I ran it on muffs both times. Pulled the rubber hose off that leads to the tell tale and it's clear. I'll try to find a bucket big enough to run it next

Comment

1st thing I try is weed wacker line and then compressed air up the tell tail while running with some water, either muffs or in a tub

Comment

Originally posted by albernifisher View Post
          I ran it on muffs both times. Pulled the rubber hose off that leads to the tell tale and it's clear. I'll try to find a bucket big enough to run it next
          You know where the lower unit is bolted to the mid-section? The water level in your big deep bucket needs to be several inches above there. Think about where the water pump will be. It needs to be submerged in water. Like it would be if the boat was in the water.

The pump pushes water upwards a heckava lot better than it pulls water from down below. If it can. And it needs to be submerged underwater so that water can lubricate the vanes. Not only will a dry pump not pump well it can quickly become damaged as the dry vanes rub on the stainless steel cup.

Comment

Or you could try two hoses. One attached to flush fittings and other on your muffs. More water may get it going....

My F150 won't pee at all on muffs. Unless they were maybe attached to a fire hose.

Boscoe could give us analysis on all the various muff sizes and shapes. Generally they all work the same way.

Comment

Found a bucket deep enough, still nothing. Looks like I'm dropping the bottom end

Comment

Good idea to drop the lower unit anyway and see what you got. Used engine.

Better it to fail in the driveway than on the water. If you are not sure how to go about it....get a service manual. Also there are some good YouTube videos out there that will guide you along....

Good luck.

Comment

If the pump was broken.You'd better change a new one.
                  Last edited by Carter001; 09-29-2017, 12:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X