Average battery life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Average battery life

Went to run my engines today and the starboard battery was too low ...combined batteries and it started no problem. After checks it appears as though this battery is going bad. (won't take a charge from the charger)
    I am going to pull both batteries tomorrow ...they are top of the line Interstates and the one ...I feel pretty sure is bad after exactly 4 years! (8-13-13)
    I have always had good luck with Interstate but now I may have to rethink it if thats all the time I get.
    Whats the ball park time on your batteries?

BTW...All terminals clean enough to eat off of...battery switch always left in the OFF position and no accessories on when switch is off. (I even pull the auto bilge fuse when it is in my driveway) so no load at all when switch is off.
    Put battery on charger (12V/6A) and it started at 4.5, it should taper down to about 2 to 3 when charged.
    After about 90 minutes I checked it and it had gone UP to 5!
    The port battery is ok and it holds a charge (13.5V at rest) ...this battery is at 12V after 90 min. on charger.
    I will have them BOTH checked tomorrow.
    Sure wish they lasted longer.

4 years isn't too bad. I've read posts by guys who automatically toss them after TWO seasons. I typically get at least 4 years from batteries. And with what they cost these days, I'd be pretty pissed if I didn't.

I think if you start with high quality, properly sized batts, they are kept clean (anodes and lugs) and you maintain a proper charging circuit (big topic), that 5-6 years is not unreasonable.

It will be interesting to read others responses.

Comment

wet environment and bouncing around in a boat is tough on batteries.

but sometimes they just go bad for no good reason

Comment

I usually figure on 3 years or 4 at most.....but batteries can be like light bulbs, maybe go out right away or years of service. The other factor is where you go boating....15 miles off-shore and a good battery is pretty darn important, while 1/2 mile from the ramp, what matters?.... I put my battery on the charger before going out in the boat, and I watch the voltage meter for charge rate while running....so far, so good!...

Comment

That's about what I thougjt

Yeah I replaced the first set at 3 years so I guess I can't complain about these.

Comment

I guess most agree that 4 years on a battery is good and I strongly second the thought of where you go should likely be the driving factor. When going 35 to 40 miles offshore of NJ my batteries were replaced every two years, end of story. Perhaps an overkill but I learned the hard way when I actually had to pull start a 200 Merc when fishing sharks 35 miles out!! Here in Maine I still have the original 3 batteries on my Skeeter when purchased new in 2011 - and the boat is laid up for six months or more each year.

Comment

Thoughts on brands

I have had pretty good luck with Interstate in cars and now 4 years with these but wonder if there is a better brand to go with? It wouldn't surprise me if they are all made at 2 or 3 factories and then sold and relabeled.
              What is the opinion on the best brand. Also sealed or not?

Comment

Originally posted by RayBersch View Post
                I guess most agree that 4 years on a battery is good and I strongly second the thought of where you go should likely be the driving factor. When going 35 to 40 miles offshore of NJ my batteries were replaced every two years, end of story. Perhaps an overkill but I learned the hard way when I actually had to pull start a 200 Merc when fishing sharks 35 miles out!! Here in Maine I still have the original 3 batteries on my Skeeter when purchased new in 2011 - and the boat is laid up for six months or more each year.
                You fish for sharks 35 miles offshore? Are they worth that much trouble?

I got 5 years out of my last Interstate pair.....

Comment

Lead-acid battery life benefits from keeping water topped and being maintained at full charge especially when stored and never seeing complete discharge.

For me, when a car battery (high amps for short duration starting) goes dead from leaving a dome light or headlights on, I can maybe get it back with a slow charge depending on age & condition, but it definitely suffers damage. I've never recovered from a second complete discharge.

Deep cell batteries, designed for lower amps over long duration discharge, fare better, but complete discharge degrades them.

Marine batteries are designed as a combination or hybrid of starting and deep cell. I hear they are built to accommodate the boat ride.

While our boat sits now for most of the year, I still have the batteries that came with it seven years ago. I use a perko switch to insure no load is on the battery when stored and a regulated solar panel maintains full charge. The panel won't do for charging, only maintaining the charge.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                    You fish for sharks 35 miles offshore? Are they worth that much trouble?
                    At the time, mid-1980's, Makos were very much worth the ride. They seemed to favor some wrecks over others so you went where they went. I suspect the real draw was water temperature not the wreck itself. Now I limit my jaunts to a three mile long lake in Maine and fish for bass until the water gets hard.

By the way, my current batteries are Deka's but I would buy Interstate any day.
                    Last edited by RayBersch; 08-11-2017, 06:57 PM.

Comment

10-4 on the Makos. They are somewhat edible. But I'm spoiled...

Comment

I do feel battery life is less than it used to be. And often present day batteries give little warning of pending failure; unlike in the past it seemed capacity gradually decreased.
                        Dual batteries should be setup so that either or both batteries can be switched to either engines. I would think it very unlikely both batteries would fail at the same time. If one is not comfortable with this risk then a third battery could be held in reserve and rotated with the other two, just like is done with car tyres. However I would buy that battery when the other two were halflife at say two seasons.
                        Adding to further reliability (safety) a small generator could be carried; that are not much bigger or heavier than a battery anyway. Most failed batteries that initially started at the dock but subsequently failed to restart the engine at sea, can be pumped enough by a small generator, in combination with it still charging crank an engine sufficiently to start.
                        It is a worry though, if batteries are trending to only last one or two seasons!
                        My diesel truck battery is going on seven years now, and I remember my kids growing up before my old boat battery expired!

Comment

No such thing as a five (5) year battery... DieHard

FLA batteries are usually good for about three years. (FLA =flooded lead acid)

Only add water, preferably distilled water.

Check water level regularly, any lead plates that spend time out of the water get glazed over and become useless, meaning that if you have 10% of the lead plates that are dry, they become unusable and you loose that 10% forever.
                          So check you electrolyte level often and top it up regularly.

Recommended that once a year (or more) remove battery and bench charge it:Remove battery and inspect for condition, cracks in case, etc.
                          Fill with distilled water to just over the plates at this time.
                          Charge battery with a suitable charger until complete.
                          Top up electrolyte level to full mark with distilled water only. Never add acid.
                          Clean terminals with wire brush to "clean and bright"
                          Clean battery case with mild soap and water, rinse gently, dry. (with caps installed)
                          Reinstall battery.

Sears markets it's DieHard battery line as a 5 year guarantee pro rated. Very seldom does anybody get five years from a DieHard battery and many people take advantage of the $ battery credit issued when you purchase a new DieHard 5 year battery.

What Sears is doing is guaranteeing that you will likely return to over pay for your next battery. What you are doing when you buy DieHard is buying a three+ year battery and part of your next battery up front.
                          If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Comment

Working...
                          X