Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One hellava fisherman (and aviator)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/nA3LtX...layer_embedded

panasonic - notice the air flow disruption on the upper surface of the wing at one point

Most things in nature are beautiful aren't they!!!!
    Dennis
    Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

Originally posted by dray0151 View Post
      Most things in nature are beautiful aren't they!!!!
      Yes. And if they are not beautiful (or smell nice) then that is what beer is for.

Comment

Very, very cool!
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

panasonic - notice the air flow disruption on the upper surface of the wing at one point
          Those feathers are spoilers:

Comment

Very cool indeed...There are bald eagles around here now like crows..a rare day I don't see a bald eagle or Osprey on the way to work. ...30 years ago it was extremely rare to see either..

He was definitely over gross weight on the last fish...just barely made it off..lol

Comment

I live about 2 or 3 miles from the Chesapeake Bay and this area is awash with them. Pretty cool since there were zero Ospreys here when I was a kid. None.

Funny thing is, I now live on a small, somewhat nasty fresh water pond and the ospreys feed on it as well. I guess they don't care about dirty fresh water.

I really enjoyed the vid!

Comment

the end looked like it was surfing when it aligned the fish in the direction of movement.

we see that all the time here in Tx.
                see them mostly picking up mullet on top of the water.
                not going deep

seen doves 50 miles off shore many times, I do not under stand that

I have watched hawks chase Morning doves across the bays, dove stays low to the water so the hawk will end up in the drink if it tries to hit it from above I guess
                Last edited by 99yam40; 08-04-2017, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                  the end looked like it was surfing when it aligned the fish in the direction of movement.

we see that all the time here in Tx.
                  see them mostly picking up mullet on top of the water.
                  not going deep

seen doves 50 miles off shore many times, I do not under stand that

I have watched hawks chase Morning doves across the bays, dove stays low to the water so the hawk will end up in the drink if it tries to hit it from above I guess
                  Do doves migrate?

My brother in Texas says you guys have millions of hummingbirds down there, I guess on their way heading across the Gulf of Mexico to Central America for the winter. Doing it all over again in the spring. Hard for me to understand how such a tiny critter can fly such long distances, non-stop.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

Slightly stalling his wings to correct his descent....beautiful to watch.

Seeing we are posting YouTube videos here is one I am sure anyone who likes the sea and navigation will like....
                    https://youtu.be/NENPdT4LASw
                    Last edited by panasonic; 08-04-2017, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Great video, thanks for sharing. What has always fascinated me the most is their keen sense of eyesight, particularly their ability to catch a flounder. I've witnessed osprey catch flounder and it's mind boggling how they can see the fish. For those who have never seen a flounder in their natural habitat, there is a reason...because you can't see them suckers.
                      Jason
                      1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Another Dedicated Fisherman

Having the largest wing-area-to-body-weight ratio of any bird, frigatebirds are essentially aerial.[42] This allows them to soar continuously and only rarely flap their wings. One great frigatebird, being tracked by satellite in the Indian Ocean, stayed aloft for two months. They can fly higher than 4,000 meters in freezing conditions.[47] Like swifts they are able to spend the night on the wing, but they will also return to an island to roost on trees or cliffs.[48] Field observations in the Mozambique Channel found that great frigatebirds could remain on the wing for up to 12 days while foraging.[49] Highly adept, they use their forked tails for steering during flight and make strong deep wing-beats,[44] though not suited to flying by sustained flapping. Frigatebirds bathe and clean themselves in flight by flying low and splashing at the water surface before preening and scratching afterwards.[42] Conversely, frigatebirds do not swim and with their short legs cannot walk well or take off from the sea easily.[44]

The average life span is unknown but in common with seabirds such as the wandering albatross and Leach's storm petrel, frigatebirds are long-lived. In 2002, 35 ringed great frigatebirds were recovered on Tern Island in the Hawaiian Islands. Of these ten were older than 37 years and one was at least 44 years of age.[50]

Comment

Aloft for 2 months....coming down to the water's surface now and then for a fish dinner I guess???....

Comment

Working...
                          X