2004 Yam 150TXRC no spark, starboard side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No spark on starboard side? "FIXED"

I find your comment funny and simply BS since you are the one that said this.
    "NO NO NO
    go find a REAL tech.
    the 2.6L carbed uses a high and low speed charge coil setup. only the 3.1L uses a separate charge coil for bank to bank.
    if you don't belive me simply look it up in your SM.
    any motor that lists the high and low speed with the same ohms value and output is bank to bank. any that list a different ohms value is NOT bank to bank.
    why is this sheet so tough?????????.

it is common sense folks.
    understand how the system works.
    what is missing. fix it.

is it simply to hard to test? "

That was after Carlitos posted he had the same motor with the same problem and it was the stator that was bad. Then a friend of mine confirmed with a tech at his dealership that that would do it. You then posted the above telling me that it can't and to this day you have not been able to say what on my engine could cause one side to go out and I asked repeatedly. So you can say whatever you want now about how simple and quick you could have figured this out but your comments in this thread show different. At one point you even started talking about a 200 and how there is no 200 with that model number when I clearly posted it to be a 150. Anyway I don't doubt you are a descent tech but this stumped you and that's all there is to it.

Comment

I still think testing the peak voltages into and out of the CDI/ECU would have pointed to what was going on.
      not some of them, but all of them as I asked.
      and as Rod refered to

What part of the stator outputs do you think were bad that replacing it fixed your problem?
      have you measured the outputs of the one you installed to see if they were different than you old one?

do you think unplugging some connections and putting them back together could have cleaned up a connection.

i still want to know if the 200 was what Rod was talking about being differentfrom the begining or was it a 150
      Last edited by 99yam40; 08-17-2017, 04:22 PM.

Comment

No spark on starboard side? "FIXED"

Did you go back and read my post from when I fixed it? I took readings from the output of the b/w leads. And no it was not a bad connection. I did all the old school tricks of wiggling wires and tapping electrical components along with checking all connections and doing all sorts of test with meters. As I ask in my earlier post maybe someone who works for a yam dealer can ask there area tech rep about this. All I know is I put on a new stator which evidently you all still don't think could have been the problem but it was and Carlitos whos engine does use the same stator also had the same problem with the same fix. I did take offense to Rodbolts comments how he could have fixed this in 20 minutes and how stupid easy it is yet he is the one who is basically saying this engine cant lose spark on one bank and could not give me any real help other than explaining how the ignition works. Still I thank all for your comments and help. My engine is running and now my family can enjoy the lake once again.

Comment

Originally posted by 1oldoutboardtech View Post
          Big thanks to Carlitos for posting the fact he had a 150 with the same problem and a stator was the fix. With that and 2 local mechanics who also said that could cause this I got a good used stator asy. and tried it. That fixed the problem and runs great now. I checked and his model does use the same ignition parts except I think the cdi unit was a different part number. While I agree in theory this should not happen it did. So I hope maybe someone that works for a Yamaha dealer can check with the tech department and find out what we are missing that can cause this. I would really like to know. I don't like being a parts replacer but I had know choice in the end. FYI I did check the output on the B/W leads and I got 180v on the port side and 50v on the starboard side. I'm also not sure if this was related but I'm starting to think so. My tach had been bouncing around for a while and I just figured it was a bad tach since I could tap the face and it would go back to normal most of the time but I did notice that while I was test running the boat the tach never once was off. So what's everyone's opinion?
          Yes I did see that the CDI output to the coils was finally posted, but what has changed coming out of the stator?
          did the charge coil, pulser coil, lighting coil or anything else read different from the original?
          could the one low reading on pulser have been the problem?

I am just trying to understand what was different that could have fixed the problem by changing the stator

Comment

welol in 04 there were at least 4 different ign systems used on a 150.
            one did not use CDI.
            the CDI uses a charge coil input to charge the capacitors. the CDI does NOT modify the voltage.
            what the charge coil inputs is pretty much what the CDI outputs.
            takes maybe 10 min to test charge coil in vs CDI out.

this pretty much applies to all brands of an altenator driven ign system.
            merc,jonny/rude,suzuki,tohatsu,merc/mariner and a few others used the same system just called it something else.
            but if you can test one you can test them all.
            merc and jonny rudes have trigger coils.
            japs have pulser coils.
            what is the difference between a trigger coil and a pulser coil ?????
            it all works the same, test inputs to the device and the outputs from the device.
            if you have bad inputs the device may not be bad.
            if you have good inputs and bad outputs the device is bad.
            if you have good inputs and good outputs the device is ok.

this is why SM's and a logical test procedure is critical.

Comment

Rodbolt, you refered to his motor (150TXRC) as a 200 hp motor at one point and I am not sure which one has the ignition system that you explained early on as having low speed and high speed charge coils instead of charge coils for each bank.

Just wanted some clarification on that info

Comment

I think Rodnut used the 200 model in order to make a point. That the specific model identity is important. He used the 200 as an example because there are so many permutations for that specific HP. Probably in response to the OP making reference to a 115 model in his original post. To show that just because any one Yamaha works in a certain way has nothing to do with how any other Yamaha works.

The only commonality that anyone can find about Yams is that they are painted gray. Usually. But not always.

It is well and good that the OP got the motor fixed. By changing the stator. Which does not make sense, but so be it.

Comment

Working...
                X