• Time
  • Show
Clear All

from what Rod is saying your motor is a 2.6L and Carl has a 3.1L
    Different systems

Comment

NO NO NO
      go find a REAL tech.
      the 2.6L carbed uses a high and low speed charge coil setup. only the 3.1L uses a separate charge coil for bank to bank.
      if you don't belive me simply look it up in your SM.
      any motor that lists the high and low speed with the same ohms value and output is bank to bank. any that list a different ohms value is NOT bank to bank.
      why is this sheet so tough?????????.

it is common sense folks.
      understand how the system works.
      what is missing. fix it.

is it simply to hard to test?

Comment

If all of the tests indicate that everything is working according to Hoyle, what should be fixed?

High and low charge coils (2) test good.

Pulser coils (2) test good.

Crank position sensor (1) tests good.

Ignition coils (6) through spark plugs test good.

Lighting coils (3) test good.

Wires to and from the CDI (charge coils [Br-R & B/R-L] , pulser coils [W/R-W/G & W/Y-W/Br], [CPS G-G], [spark plugs B/W] test good.

What needs to be fixed if everything is meeting published specifications? The CDI?

Comment

Seems he said one charge coil did not read up to spec. but did not list what anything read, so who knows for sure

Comment

one more time.

that system uses a high and low speed charge coil.
            both feed 6 capacitors.
            it uses two pulser coils to time the capacitor discharge for 4 cylinders.
            the CDI assy uses a crank position sensor to make the spark for the other two.
            CDI stands for Capacitor Discharge Ignition.
            same as a merc switch box or a jonny/rude powerpack.
            they all do the same thing.

in the trade it is called an alternator driven ign.
            over the years we have seen points and magnetos.
            12v amplifiers with points.
            12v amplifiers with pulser or trigger coils.
            CDI systems.
            12V transistor systems.

it is all very simple to test.

Comment

No spark on starboard side?

Okay logic tells us it can't be the pulser coils, the charge coils, the cps, none of the overheat or oil sensors or switches and the ignition coils are good. Tested with a used cdi unit and still had the same problem. Maybe the cdi units both have the same problem but unlikely. There has to be something in common that will make 1 side go out. I know the charge coils can't make 1 side go out. My friend is saying the lighting coils can. Can the lighting coil cause 1 bank to go out?

Comment

Originally posted by 1oldoutboardtech View Post
                Okay logic tells us it can't be the pulser coils, the charge coils, the cps, none of the overheat or oil sensors or switches and the ignition coils are good. Tested with a used cdi unit and still had the same problem. Maybe the cdi units both have the same problem but unlikely. There has to be something in common that will make 1 side go out. I know the charge coils can't make 1 side go out. My friend is saying the lighting coils can. Can the lighting coil cause 1 bank to go out?
                No. The lighting coil is not interfaced in any way with the CDI. The lighting coil provides AC voltage to the rectifier/regulator only.

Presumption being that the lighting coils have not chaffed to any other coils within the stator assembly.
                Last edited by boscoe99; 08-12-2017, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                  one more time.

that system uses a high and low speed charge coil.
                  both feed 6 capacitors.
                  it uses two pulser coils to time the capacitor discharge for 4 cylinders.
                  the CDI assy uses a crank position sensor to make the spark for the other two.
                  CDI stands for Capacitor Discharge Ignition.
                  same as a merc switch box or a jonny/rude powerpack.
                  they all do the same thing.

in the trade it is called an alternator driven ign.
                  over the years we have seen points and magnetos.
                  12v amplifiers with points.
                  12v amplifiers with pulser or trigger coils.
                  CDI systems.
                  12V transistor systems.

it is all very simple to test.
                  No one is disputing that it is easy to test. The tests, all of them are very simple. Stupidly simple some might say.

But when all individual components test well, wiring tests well, plugs test well, but the system does not work well, where might the problem lie?

How about some help here?

Comment

For anyone following along, here is the wiring diagram. What is common to the three plugs on the starboard side that are not firing? Only thing I can see are the spark plug grounds and the coil grounds. Which are reported to have been checked and confirmed to be working well.

Comment

from what I read one charge coil was a little under minimum spec.
                      I do not remember seeing any info on his testing of the CPS

we have not see any test results or what equipment was used to get those reading that he said were OK.

if good voltage in , but not good coming back out of the CDI unloaded with the Kill wire unhooked from the CDI then it would have to be inside the cdi.

but he has not given this info

but then maybe the OP is wrong about what motor he is dealing with
                      Last edited by 99yam40; 08-12-2017, 03:20 PM.

Comment

only way I would test it is with either a stevens CD-77 or my DVM with a DVA adapter.
                        I rarely trust resistance measurements.
                        I want to see a voltage in and out of the CDI.

Comment

however if this is an SX or LX200txrc it is EFI.
                          EFI uses two identical charge coils, one for each bank.
                          it is kinda why complete model numbers are nessasary.

Comment

No spark on starboard side?

Yes I use the Stevens CD-77. I did not say the charge coil output was low on 1 I said the pulser coil on 1 reading was .5 under at a cranking test but I know that's not the problem. The way it has been explained to me over and over theres no way the pulser coils, charge coils or cps can cause this problem. I don't even think that a bad ground would cause just 1 side to go out. Also in my original post I stated this is a Yamaha 2004 150TXRC.

Comment

I guess my memory is not as good as I thought.
                              did remember the .5 low on something tho

have to wonder if Rodbolt was confused at the beginning or the end on the motor model #

Comment

Minimum pulser coil peak voltage at cranking RPM unloaded is 3 volts, loaded it is 2 volts.

But this still does not explain an entire side failing to spark the plugs. Or does it?

Can you confirm that on the port side B/W ignition coil wires to ground that you are getting better than 150 peak volts loaded while cranking but that on the starboard side B/W ignition coil wires to ground that you are getting less than 150 volts. As in, how much less? Zero or something in between 0 and 150 plus?
                                Last edited by boscoe99; 08-12-2017, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X