2012 150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 150

I have a 2012 150 that recently has very low oil pressure. I just had the annual service don, and it worked perfect until a few weeks ago. When starting it was fine when I tried to accelerate, at about 1800 rmps, it would go into limp mode. I took it to the shop, and they verified that the pressure was low, but the pump was working. They said they contacted Yamaha, and were told that the leveling arm has some gears that have been known to break teeth off. They ordered the leveling arm, installed it and I still have the low oil pressure problem. They are telling me that they think now that they think one of the gear teeth may be in the oil line blocking it. Then stated that this was a lengthy in depth repair.

Does this sound legit? Now they have had my boat for 3 weeks already, and I want my boat back. I also want to make sure I am not getting a wash job by folks who really dont know how to fix this problem...

HELP....Thanks!

Correction

Balancer with synthetic gears is what was replaced.

Comment

Did the shop remove the powerhead and clean the oil system of fragments?

Anybody know what a leveling arm refers to?

Comment

Was all the teeth on the replaced balancer there or any missing?

Also, the latest version is a type 4.

I recently had some whining coming from my type 3 balancer. (which I updated last week and stopped the whining).

Yamaha will know what type balancer they installed.

There have been threads on the balancer failing (the old types)and fibers getting caught up in the engine oiling system. The Op had to fully tear down the engine to clear out all the crap.

There was no "leveling arms" connected to the balancer.

My type 3 was installed in 2012 (under "warranty"-free) by Yamaha.

Below IS the type 4 (latest unit) I just installed. But those "greenish teeth" are the culprits...

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 08-03-2017, 05:31 PM.
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

You wouldn't happen to have the serial number for your F150 available?

Several of us have F150 motors and would be curious as to which balancer part you had on that 2012. I believe 2012 motors could have had either the 4th or 5th generation of that part depending on which month it was made.

Comment

ha - took me a while, but I got it -

"balancer" - "leveler" = "leveling arm"

makes perfect sense

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post

makes perfect sense
              Sure! Must be in a different country.

The Brits refer to afterburners as the "reheat"

Comment

makes perfect sense

Yep, your right.

For the Op, if the old balancer lost teeth, yes it most likely is clogging the oiling system. Hopefully the low oil pressure didn't damage any bearings, internals...

**Who ever replaced it, should have said something. I see the power head coming off, oil pan pulled/cleaned, etc....
                Scott

Comment

with all of that plastic plugging up the oil system it needs to be cleaned out.
                  what it takes I do not know, but would think the power head needs to be removed and opened up to get it all out.

maybe others that have done it or had it done can say how many man-hours it takes

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                    what it takes I do not know, but would think the power head needs to be removed and opened up to get it all out.

maybe others that have done it or had it done can say how many man-hours it takes
                    You would think if the shop was sophisticated enough to refer to the balancers as the "leveling arm" they would have had the sense to clean out the innards.

Who knows? Would be nice to know if the -03 or -04 part failed. For the sake of science.

Comment

FOUND the failed balancer thread, it's a long one:

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...n-th27850.html

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 08-03-2017, 08:41 PM.
                      Scott

Comment

makes perfect sense
                        I am not horribly familiar with the terms... I was my error thankfully and not my mechanics!

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                          You wouldn't happen to have the serial number for your F150 available?

Several of us have F150 motors and would be curious as to which balancer part you had on that 2012. I believe 2012 motors could have had either the 4th or 5th generation of that part depending on which month it was made.
                          I will get it this w/e.

Comment

The hours that cleanup would take would be great info!

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                              Did the shop remove the powerhead and clean the oil system of fragments?

Anybody know what a leveling arm refers to?
                              They are getting ready to... I am wondering how long all this should take. This is the end of the third week.

Comment

Working...
                              X