Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shift cable - can they be adjusted? Or Just Replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I didn't get the LU off as I was working with the rats nest of wiring to wire up the. Ew digital speedo and analog temp gauge.

I did take the shift linkage off, find neutral on the slide and began adjusting. When I got to the VERY last "shortening" adjustment it fell easily onto the slide. And then while the engine was running it would easily go into reverse and forward. The binding stopped. From forward it was easy to neutral, from reverse it would actually go into neutral, but almost not far enough. I would hear a very subtle clicking.

I wonder if I adjust tighter at the binnacle if I can get that last bit out. And now I'm wondering if the LU damage was simply caused by bad shift cable adjustment.
    - Eazy Life

Comment

Sounds like the cable is adjusted correctly.

The clicking is the LU is that it's NOT fully in gear. You only have so much movement in the cable and if your "starting correctly" in neutral, the problem is in the LU.

And that is NOT un-expected as it's toast..
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
        Sounds like the cable is adjusted correctly.

The clicking is the LU is that it's NOT fully in gear. You only have so much movement in the cable and if your "starting correctly" in neutral, the problem is in the LU.

And that is NOT un-expected as it's toast..
        My thoughts exactly - got her out on the water today anyway. Just making sure I click a bit shy forward gear after reverse. Other than that she's runnin like a top.
        - Eazy Life

Comment

Working...
        X