• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
    Rodbolt would agree at some point this was a complete
    dckhead thing to write.
    I'll take that bet!

I joined this forum late last August when I learned what cantankerous bitches these 4 strokes could be. I have learned a LOT since then. And much of it from the threads in which the proletariat simply inquired about solutions on how to keep their very expensive transom additions happy. I've enjoyed reading their posts and have learned much from their experiences with their engines. I also enjoy knowing how mechanical things work, even though I am not a trained technician. And, I also enjoy wrenching (to a degree). Particularly when local labor is over $100 bucks per hour and I yearn to run offshore. Keeping two engines happy can quickly break the bank if I can't step in for the menial issues.

In my line of work, it would be really easy for me to take pot shots at people who inquire about how things work, as they often do. But I go out of my way not to marginalize their ignorance and I don't ridicule their questions. It's not that hard.

While I know next to nothing about my F225 TURDS, I'm not an idiot. I have lived near the water and owned and maintained boats (sail and power) for over 40 years. In that time I have had a professional work on my boats exactly once, when I didn't have the tools or knowhow to replace the seals on an OMC lower unit. In 9 months of Yamaha ownership I have been in and out of both VST's several times, replaced both high and low pressure pumps, all four thermostats, anodes, removed and had reman'd 12 fuel injectors, diagnosed and fixed a starting issue, etc, etc. My engines are almost where I want them!

So, while I shoot myself in the foot here, I don't care. It's no big deal. Most of my knowledge has come from reading other owners solutions.

MANY thanks to all I have learned from on this site.
    Last edited by oldmako69; 08-03-2017, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
      What about aerodynamics and thermodynamics?

Does the low water pressure at the end of a 100 foot hose suck the water from the tap and to the end of the hose?

Does low voltage suck the electrons from the high voltage side of a circuit?

Like the low air pressure within a cylinder that sucks in the air from outside the motor? An esteemed author of aviation matters says that this is what happens in a piston engine. When the airplane flies into outer space why does the motor stop sucking?

Heat kills or so I am told. How come a pool of 70 degree water, holding much more heat than air at 120 degrees, will kill someone by dropping their temperature (degrees) too much (hypothermia)?

We refer to the heat (BTU's) index and then express it in the form of degrees.

I wish also that I had paid more attention is school. And read more.

I am so confused. The more I know the less I understand. All the things I thought I figured out, I have to learn again.
      "Heart of the matter" Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by oldmako69 View Post
        I'll take that bet!

I joined this forum late last August when I learned what cantankerous bitches these 4 strokes could be. I have learned a LOT since then. And much of it from the threads in which the proletariat simply inquired about solutions on how to keep their very expensive transom additions happy. I've enjoyed reading their posts and have learned much from their experiences with their engines. I also enjoy knowing how mechanical things work, even though I am not a trained technician. And, I also enjoy wrenching (to a degree). Particularly when local labor is over $100 bucks per hour and I yearn to run offshore. Keeping two engines happy can quickly break the bank if I can't step in for the menial issues.

In my line of work, it would be really easy for me to take pot shots at people who inquire about how things work, as they often do. But I go out of my way not to marginalize their ignorance and I don't ridicule their questions. It's not that hard.

While I know next to nothing about my F225 TURDS, I'm not an idiot. I have lived near the water and owned and maintained boats (sail and power) for over 40 years. In that time I have had a professional work on my boats exactly once, when I didn't have the tools or knowhow to replace the seals on an OMC lower unit. In 9 months of Yamaha ownership I have rebuilt both VST's, replaced both high and low pressure pumps, all four thermostats, anodes, removed and had reman'd 12 fuel injectors, diagnosed starting issues, etc, etc. My engines are almost where I want them!

So, while I shoot myself in the foot here, I don't care. It's no big deal. Most of my knowledge has come from reading other owners solutions.

As an FYI, "Backyardians" (as I proudly admit I am(and you are er your description), with over 4 decades of working on engines-no formal training) are often talked down to here.

I've had to repair Yamaha tech repairs myself and fix issues that were mis-diagnosed here (rarely).

With that said, I've learned alot here and continue to do so. It is the most knowledgeable yamaha forum.

My engine is a 2006, considered an "antique" by one, but that's fine.
        Runs better than new (actually idles now vs when new).

Anyway, your not the first, nor the last. Comes with the territory HERE.

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 08-03-2017, 07:56 AM.
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by oldmako69 View Post
          I'll take that bet!

While I know next to nothing about my F225 TURDS, I'm not an idiot. I have lived near the water and owned and maintained boats (sail and power) for over 40 years. In that time I have had a professional work on my boats exactly once, when I didn't have the tools or knowhow to replace the seals on an OMC lower unit. In 9 months of Yamaha ownership I have been in and out of both VST's several times, replaced both high and low pressure pumps, all four thermostats, anodes, removed and had reman'd 12 fuel injectors, diagnosed and fixed a starting issue, etc, etc. My engines are almost where I want them!

I enjoy your posts and have learned from them...so keep on at it.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
            I enjoy your posts and have learned from them...so keep on at it.
            +2 ^^^^^..........
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
            X