Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An Intro and Some Questions (VST, LP Pumps)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Intro and Some Questions (VST, LP Pumps)

I typed out a really nice first post a few days - but it went to the mod's to approve and was never heard from again. So i'm going to try and re-create it here.

First an introduction. About 2 weeks ago I picked up my newest floating project, a 1986 Mako 20c with a 2001 150 OX66. In my 20+ years of boating i've actually never owned a center console, so i'm looking forward to customizing it. And surprisingly never owned a yamaha! It's always been a Johnson/Evinrude. So needless to say i'm kinda excited to learn about a new outboard system. But at the same time slightly intimidated!

I've spent the last 2 weeks reading through all of the How-To's and YouTube videos about the engine and learning what I should be looking out for, replacing and reviewing. So tonight and tomorrow i'm going to do all of the maintenance I feel comfortable with at this time. Below is what is getting done:

New Big Blue F/W Separator Filter (already done because that's pretty easy)
    New Spark Plugs (Also already done because it was easy to do. What came out were only gaped at .025 and were a little oily)
    New engine mounted fuel filter with new o-rings
    All New Anodes (including the 8 on the engine itself ordered with all new mounting bolts and screws for the Trim Tab and Bracket as well)
    Complete new water pump including housing and collars
    New Mushroom Style Poppet valve with spring, grommet and gasket
    New Thermostats and gaskets
    New L/U Oil
    New Digital Tach and Harness (harness was bought as an "if necessary" previous owner though he was a master electrician and has so many split and cut wires under that dash it's ridiculous. This install will be a separate post if the issues get out of hand)

(Also putting new ping-pong ball scuppers and a new swim platform on the boat - but this is an engine forum so i'll keep it to that)

So now that we know what i'm already doing because (Call me crazy, but i just don't trust the previous owners were diligent with the engine) I am pretty sure Not much is different on the standard stuff - But here are the questions:

1) I've replaced water pumps before - and found a How-To post that still had the pictures and a half-way decent YouTube video. From what I can gather it's the same as other water pumps. The only "make sure" that I picked up was to pull up on the driveshaft as you are putting the collars on to make sure it's properly seated or you can get a bit of a rattle. Any other pitfalls I should watch out for?

2) I keep reading about the VST filter and the Low Pressure fuel pumps as issues on these engines. On the test run, and the one run i've done since I did not have any surging or bogging or issues on acceleration. So i'll ASSUME they are ok for the time being. But, i'm the type to do preventative stuff. Sadly, all of the How-To's for these have been rendered pretty useless because of Photobucket's new "pricing schedule" and half of the posts say something like, "You'll see i circled in this picture....". Nope, can't see nothing. The Boatinfo.nfo manual is fairly useless on both as well.

Can anyone point me towards an illustrated How-To for these? They look fairly straight forward, but i've made that mistake before and bluntly, I do better with pictures. (monkey see - monkey do)

3) DeCarb: On the Johnson's there is a schrader valve you can screw a neat little fogging/de-carb onto and it equally distributes the solution to all of the cylinders for winterizing or for just de-carbing. I saw there was a valve above the VST on the engine - is this for the same reason? If not, what is the preferred way of doing a de-carb on the OX66? Portable tank with a can of seafoam?

4)Anything else i may be missing in the maintenance overhaul? Currently the engine is worth more than the boat. And although that'll change soon, it's important to keep her turning!

Thanks again! And to hopefully start replenishing the How-to's I'll be taking lots of pictures!
    Last edited by JerEazy1; 07-28-2017, 08:28 AM.
    - Eazy Life

Originally posted by JerEazy1 View Post
    I typed out a really nice first post a few days - but it went to the mod's to approve and was never heard from again.
    maddening when that happens - there's apparently "no rhyme or reason for it"

but Boscoe says, when it does happen - all is not lost -

use your browser's back button, and you can recover all your hard work.

I guess highlight, and copy, at that point

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
      maddening when that happens - there's apparently "no rhyme or reason for it"

but Boscoe says, when it does happen - all is not lost -

use your browser's back button, and you can recover all your hard work.

I guess highlight, and copy, at that point
      not that big a deal - i think i made all of the same points in this post.

But good to know in case it comes up again!
      - Eazy Life

Comment

Originally posted by JerEazy1 View Post
        I typed out a really nice first post a few days - but it went to the mod's to approve and was never heard from again. So i'm going to try and re-create it here.

First an introduction. About 2 weeks ago I picked up my newest floating project, a 1986 Mako 20c with a 2001 150 OX66. In my 20+ years of boating i've actually never owned a center console, so i'm looking forward to customizing it. And surprisingly never owned a yamaha! It's always been a Johnson/Evinrude. So needless to say i'm kinda excited to learn about a new outboard system. But at the same time slightly intimidated!

I've spent the last 2 weeks reading through all of the How-To's and YouTube videos about the engine and learning what I should be looking out for, replacing and reviewing. So tonight and tomorrow i'm going to do all of the maintenance I feel comfortable with at this time. Below is what is getting done:

New Big Blue F/W Separator Filter (already done because that's pretty easy)
        New Spark Plugs (Also already done because it was easy to do. What came out were only gaped at .025 and were a little oily)
        New engine mounted fuel filter with new o-rings
        All New Anodes (including the 8 on the engine itself ordered with all new mounting bolts and screws for the Trim Tab and Bracket as well)
        Complete new water pump including housing and collars
        New Mushroom Style Poppet valve with spring, grommet and gasket
        New Thermostats and gaskets
        New L/U Oil
        New Digital Tach and Harness (harness was bought as an "if necessary" previous owner though he was a master electrician and has so many split and cut wires under that dash it's ridiculous. This install will be a separate post if the issues get out of hand)

(Also putting new ping-pong ball scuppers and a new swim platform on the boat - but this is an engine forum so i'll keep it to that)

So now that we know what i'm already doing because (Call me crazy, but i just don't trust the previous owners were diligent with the engine) I am pretty sure Not much is different on the standard stuff - But here are the questions:

1) I've replaced water pumps before - and found a How-To post that still had the pictures and a half-way decent YouTube video. From what I can gather it's the same as other water pumps. The only "make sure" that I picked up was to pull up on the driveshaft as you are putting the collars on to make sure it's properly seated or you can get a bit of a rattle. Any other pitfalls I should watch out for? JUST CHECK THE SEALS UNDER THE WEAR PLATE (WP). THERE'S A TINY SS SPRING (TENSION SPRING) THAT "GOES AWAY" OVER TIME.

2) I keep reading about the VST filter and the Low Pressure fuel pumps as issues on these engines. On the test run, and the one run i've done since I did not have any surging or bogging or issues on acceleration. So i'll ASSUME they are ok for the time being. But, i'm the type to do preventative stuff. Sadly, all of the How-To's for these have been rendered pretty useless because of Photobucket's new "pricing schedule" and half of the posts say something like, "You'll see i circled in this picture....". Nope, can't see nothing. The Boatinfo.nfo manual is fairly useless on both as well.

Can anyone point me towards an illustrated How-To for these? They look fairly straight forward, but i've made that mistake before and bluntly, I do better with pictures. (monkey see - monkey do)

3) DeCarb: On the Johnson's there is a schrader valve you can screw a neat little fogging/de-carb onto and it equally distributes the solution to all of the cylinders for winterizing or for just de-carbing. I saw there was a valve above the VST on the engine - is this for the same reason? If not, what is the preferred way of doing a de-carb on the OX66? Portable tank with a can of seafoam? YAMAHA'S RINGFREE WORKS VERY WELL:
        https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/d...?b=Search&d=34 FOR A DE-CARB, THE SHOCK TREATMENT IS 2 OZ / ONE GALLON. SIX GALLONS ARE PLENTY FOR THE DE-CARB. REGULAR USE IS ONE OZ PER 10 GALLONS. ALSO USE SOME SORT OF FUEL STABILIZER AND PREFERABLY NON-ETHANOL FUEL

4)Anything else i may be missing in the maintenance overhaul? Currently the engine is worth more than the boat. And although that'll change soon, it's important to keep her turning!

Thanks again! And to hopefully start replenishing the How-to's I'll be taking lots of pictures!
        Search is your friend. Folks are more than happy to help and post new pic's with the down fall of PB. Sounds like your well on your way! Congrates!

Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Seals under the wear-plate - got it.

And thanks - I didn't search for the De-Carb on here - I appreciate the link. I picked up a 12 oz bottle of ring-free and dumped the whole thing into the tank and then topped it off (60 gallons total tank - 20 gallons in) - so under the 2oz/1gal ratio. I'm going to try and run the tank down a bit further and then do the shock treatment.

I guess maybe that is another ask then - anyone have a VST cleaning and filter change "How-To" or a LP Fuel Pump with some pictures?
          - Eazy Life

Comment

Postis had this motor.....wonder if he ever finished up his car project.

Comment

2 oz per gallon is shock treatment, after that 1 oz per gallon. Don't overdoo, too much may change gas detonation point.

Comment

Originally posted by amahaork View Post
                2 oz per gallon is shock treatment, after that 1 oz per gallon. Don't overdoo, too much may change gas detonation point.
                Oh i wont be doing it in the main tank 120 ozs of Ringfree would be quite expensive and would be one helluva long shock treatment hahahaha

I see a portable tank in my future..... So question then - the 2-stroke oil comes from the engine mounted oil reservoir as opposed to being mixed in the tank.

So when making the external tank mixture I do not have to add any 2-stroke oil as long as i hook the fuel tank up to the main fuel line after the big blue filter because it's going to still pull oil from the on-board tank. Correct?
                - Eazy Life

Comment

I thought it was 1 oz per 10 gallons

Comment

Incorrect... Regular use is 1 oz per 10 gallons . That's on the bottle
                    The shock treatment amount took me awhile to find that..

Shock treatment: 2 OZ per 1 gallon

Re the oil, the oil is mixed AFTER STRAIGHT fuel is introduced into the engine.
                    So a six gallon tank with the shok amount of RF is fine.

I run the RF regularly in all my engines (reg mix)...

BTW, for a 10HP chipper / shredder I couldn't get to idle low enough (years ago), I put quite a bit MORE RF into the 1 gallon tank as the machine ran WOT (working). After I was done, same tank, (no re-fill), a little over an hour, it idled down FINE... I did NOTHING else but stuff branches into the machine. Still starts on the first pull and idles as it should....(it's used 2-3 times a year)
                    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-28-2017, 02:36 PM.
                    Scott
                    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thanks for the help - now all I need is an external tank and some
                      Ring-free!

I would really love a post or video on the VST and LP pumps.... the LPs look pretty corroded - so while im in the buying mood, I should replace em.

Oh and on a happy note - I noticed there is a temp sender installed on the starboard top of the block! Now I just need to chase down the wires and hook up a gauge
                      - Eazy Life

Comment

Great - thank you for the info on the tank. Now I just gotta pick up that portable and some more RF.

Did a whole set of maint yesterday - noticed quite a bit more that's going to need to get done. The LP pumps are pretty corroded - so I'll probably aim to tackle them and the VST next. Will have new posts in a bit with other topics
                        - Eazy Life

Comment

don't over complicate this.
                          lift pumps are two bolts,two wire ties and a gasket if nessasary.
                          VST is stupidly simple.
                          two ways.
                          you can remove all but two screws then remove the mounting bolts and access the last two or remove the tank.
                          if you remove the tank use ONLY the correct clamps.
                          no worm type.
                          no tutorials needed.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                            don't over complicate this.
                            lift pumps are two bolts,two wire ties and a gasket if nessasary.
                            VST is stupidly simple.
                            two ways.
                            you can remove all but two screws then remove the mounting bolts and access the last two or remove the tank.
                            if you remove the tank use ONLY the correct clamps.
                            no worm type.
                            no tutorials needed.
                            Once I had eyes on the LPs I thought they would be pretty straightforward.

VST needs some extra reviews.
                            - Eazy Life

Comment

you are over complicating this.
                              the VST is simply a small gas tank.
                              it is held to the block with 3 6mm bolts.
                              the tank halves are held together with about 8 screws.
                              unbolt it,remove the screws and the tank comes apart.
                              if the gasket does not swell ,reuse it.

Comment

Working...
                              X