Lower Unit bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh yeah

Yeah, I may get her out there and try and show her what to do. She can do that Im sure ...but no lifting... I think a stiff wire with a hook on the end could make it easier to jiggle that around while I up and down the lower unit until hopefully it goes in. If not I may try the template idea.

Comment

I would think they could easily understand moving it around a little to get it into the proper hole

Comment

This place is going to hell in a hand basket.

What's a hand basket anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
          This place is going to hell in a hand basket.

What's a hand basket anyway?
          did you try googling it?

Comment

No. I googled proper hole and got worried about going to hell...

Comment

Uh what?

I wouldn't touch that line with a 10 foot shift shaft! ...lol

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                No. I googled proper hole and got worried about going to hell...
                you were suppose to google hand basket, you pervert.

but here is what you were asking about I think
                http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/h...andbasket.html
                Last edited by 99yam40; 07-28-2017, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Some clues

Well after a couple of more attempts I decided to drop the spacer down a little to actually put eyes on the situation. Loosened the 6 bolts (didn't remove them) and dropped it down about a half inch ...then I could see everything. The shift shaft is aligning and going in every time!!! The water tube is going in great every time!!! So that should only leave the drive shaft not going in. I greased the splines (although lightly) and, no, never anything on top. I was able to turn the flywheel by hand but still nothing. I may have to pull it down and regrease (more heavily) the splines ...guess that will be my next move. At least I know it isn't the shift shaft or water tube. I will run one bolt on the spacer back up for now and if it hangs up at least by just loosening that one bolt I can quickly check the shift shaft or water tube.
                  Just an update.

Comment

It's official

Well, I have done many stern drives (merc alphas & omcs), other outboards (Evinrude, Johnson) and also these 2 yammies about 3 years ago. But now it's official, this time, on this engine, has been the biggest PITA of them all! ...lol
                    Re-pulled it, regreased everything, restabbed it, (verified by eye that the shift shaft & water tube went together. But it stops at about 3/4" of going all the way in.
                    I have been using the strap method and keeping it aligned perfect. When it stops I can turn the flywheel and I notice that it turns the drive shaft below but I'm afraid it isn't going in the flywheel (what else could it be?) so now while it is hanging I (my wife) will try and turn the flywheel while I hold the drive shaft with a pair of channel locks from below and hope the splines will suddenly pop into place. I really don't want to try and pull together the last 3/4" with the bolts...it should go all the way up like it did last time I'm just wondering why this #%*##^ is happening this time.

Comment

I would check to make sure there was nothing in the hole the drive shaft is going up into

Comment

Yes

Yeah, I don't see how anything would have gotten in that hole in such a short period of time. I dropped it, put it on the bench, came back next morning, installed the pump and went to put it back in. I greased the DS bushing also before going back. But if all else fails I will take it to the local dealer here at the lake and have them stab it. Its a first for me to have to do that.
                        I am going back out now to repull it and I will definitely check ... heck maybe a chipmunk ran up there overnight or something.
                        Thanks
                        Attached Files

Comment

are you sure the shift shaft splines are lining up?
                          typically that is the issue.
                          I have done this work here in the salt pond since 1989.
                          I have greased all the fasteners for lowers and water pumps for Suzuki,tohatsu,J/E,mercruisers mercurys mariners yamahas and Hondas and force motors and Chryslers and some others I don't even remember.
                          never had one come off never used a torque wrench as most the fasners you cant get to with a torque wrench.
                          I have worked for more than 1 dealership and done my own since 1995.

Comment

Thanks RB

As for the shift shaft splines, when I lowered the spacer plate a little I can see the SS rod coupled with the female connection from above and when I raise & lower the LU just a little bit it slides up and down in that connection like it is aligned. The controls and LU are in neutral.
                            I am really curious about what is causing this. I am about to go out and take it all back out.

Comment

Grease yes

Oh yes RB, when I can get this thing to go back in...lol...I will for sure be using grease on all the bolts. I really appreciate all and any help.

Comment

if you look carefully at the female part you will notice it is counter bored.
                                just because the splines enter the bore does not mean they lined up.
                                I have also seen the oring out of its groove and not allow entry of the shaft.

Comment

Working...
                                X