Lower Unit bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What if

What if I dropped the spacer plate and bolted it to the LU first ...then going up I could get to the shift shaft coupling?

Comment

There's only going to be ONE coupling, where your at now.

I think, doing that would only give you additional weight to wrestle and the coupler is now really hidden.

Between using the cardboard(and taping it), and slowly working with the engine while verticle, should be easier.

A paint mixing stick(thin), with a notch cut out in it should work good reaching in and manipulating the shifter shaft if need be..
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

seems odd

Just seems odd that they both went in so easy last time... I have been trying it from both a 45 degree angle and run position. I may have to go higher..cant remember last time...I may have had it higher but I just dont want to put excessive sideways weight on the drive shaft...(hope that makes sense)

Comment

Originally posted by Kirk Gibson View Post
          Just seems odd that they both went in so easy last time... I have been trying it from both a 45 degree angle and run position. I may have to go higher..cant remember last time...I may have had it higher but I just dont want to put excessive sideways weight on the drive shaft...(hope that makes sense)
          Agreed ^^^. A second person would help a bunch.
          Scott

Comment

25" shaft

Yeah this is a 25" shaft with the spacer and actually the gap...on the times I have gotten there...is about 3/4" when it stops and you will not be able to get -anything- in there and then up 5" to the female connector. I can feel the drive shaft when it goes in correctly and have never had a water tube give me any problems so I may just try it again tomorrow with the unit raised higher...of course that will let the female connection flop down so I may have to rig something. The cardboard idea is nice but with the spacer I don't think it will work.

Comment

Spacer or not, the cardboard is simply holding the long shifter shaft in place.

I know we used a strong flash light last time but my slight issue was the splines which did require slight movement.. Mines also a 25"...

Good luck..
              Scott

Comment

Shifter shaft

Yes but the long shifter shaft coming up from the lower unit is rock solid ...it isn't whats moving. The female part hanging down (up inside the spacer) is what is causing the misalignment. How do I put the cardboard holder in place and get the female portion of the shift shaft through it to hold it in place when it is way up in the spacer?

Comment

Wait!

Oh, I went back and checked out the cardboard again... I would have to loosen the spacer bolts a tad and slide that thing in...HMMM...I may just give that a shot tomorrow. Sorry I was totally confused about that template.
                  Doesn't look hard to make.

Comment

Template

I think if I have to attempt that I may fabricate one out of an old coffee can lid plastic so it could be re-used.
                    Thanks once again for the great ideas guys.

Comment

Brain fart on my end, sorry..

I forgot the long shaft doesn't stick out the bottom (of the mid section) at all.

You can try the cardboard, BUT I would bend up a thin coat hanger, at a slight angle (to reach UP where the long shaft is), with a "Y" in it(to help maneuver the shaft around).

Now, (with some help) with a strong flash light, peek up there and use the coat hanger to move the long shifter shaft where it needs to be..Slip up the LU, hopefully...

Some thin sheet metal, also with a notch in it, would also allow you to sneak in there and easily bent (and removed)
                      Scott

Comment

One thing that I have found that helps me is to use duct tape to hold the spacer in place onto the mid-section. That way you are only manipulating the lower unit and the shift shaft.

Comment

?

You lost me on that one..maybe we are talking about 2 different things. The spacer plate I mean is the extension. What spacer do you mean boscoe?

Comment

Look at this pic. See the slot? The shift shaft extends up towards power head.
                            With a screwdriver you can manipulate the female side from here. Try shoving it around while lower is off.... you can align from here. Really helps to have two people at this point..... edit...great...tinypic not working

Try again

Last edited by pstephens46; 07-28-2017, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Tried

Yeah I tried jiggling that while at that point (even tried wiring it a couple of different ways) but it was either binding or I couldn't jiggle and pull up at the same time. I know 2 people would be great but I really don't have anybody else here. Both my brothers are 300 miles away
                              But I did it and many others before (some easy some like this) and I will get it.
                              Although the LU gets heavier the older I get...I wonder why?
                              Thanks for all the great input guys.

Comment

I take the damn prop off now just to lighten a little...
                                You have a wife? My wife moved the shifter around enough to "get in" after I explained in detail what needed to happen.....

Comment

Working...
                                X