High idle Yamaha 40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
    Cutty, you don't have have an Idle Speed Control.
    [...]
    Can you post a video when it starts acting up, preferably with the cowl off.

If that doesn't work, find another shop.
    Thanks both Townsends and 99yam40 for good leads!
    I had to leave for work. But I will try to organise someone to check timing and ECU wiring etc. If still no success we will see if we can get the yammie to act in a movie for you with covers off.

Cutty

Comment

need idle timing when running normal and when too high n to see if it is changing

Comment

Roger that!

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          need idle timing when running normal and when too high n to see if it is changing
          There's not much else it could be, ^^^^.

Carbs wouldn't come and go that much. Timing jumping around would..
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

There's not much else it could be, ^^^^.

Carbs wouldn't come and go that much. Timing jumping around would..
            my thoughts also, but I have tried for a long time to have him check it with no feed back on timing

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
              my thoughts also, but I have tried for a long time to have him check it with no feed back on timing
              There's been a bunch of threads (not just this one) of folks ignoring suggestions.

Four pages to get an Op to drain his carbs of WATER...(which was in the second page)..
              Scott

Comment

There's been a bunch of threads (not just this one) of folks ignoring suggestions.

Four pages to get an Op to drain his carbs of WATER...(which was in the second page)..
                Hi TownsendsFJR1300 and 99yam40,
                I did notice the advice to check timing in post three. I asked back if timing would cause intermittent problems. As I don't have a timing light (or even a multimeter) on the island, I followed the other leads I could actually check with simple tools and then got the outboard turned in for service when I could not find anything wrong.
                Now that timing seems to be the most plausible explanation, I will have that examined thoroughly.
                Thanks again!
                Cutty

Comment

timing lights are something that most people that work on motors should have.

they cost less than a visit to the shop normally, the one I have was bought back in the 70s, so i do not know the cost now a days

setting/adjusting as the manual says to at marks should get it close to the proper place if those parts are functioning as they should.
                  it still needs to be verified with the light

these newer motors depend on electronics to adjust timing,
                  can they fail intermittently?
                  I would think they might be able to.
                  all it takes is a connection or something to get flaky
                  Last edited by 99yam40; 08-06-2017, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CuttySpark View Post
                    Hi TownsendsFJR1300 and 99yam40,
                    I did notice the advice to check timing in post three. I asked back if timing would cause intermittent problems. As I don't have a timing light (or even a multimeter) on the island, I followed the other leads I could actually check with simple tools and then got the outboard turned in for service when I could not find anything wrong.
                    Now that timing seems to be the most plausible explanation, I will have that examined thoroughly.
                    Thanks again!
                    Cutty
                    No problem.

It's just that when something is suggested and we never hear anything back about it, it's like WTH?

Just maybe mention, I don't have a timing light, torque wrench, etc. Ok, well, suggestions weren't ignored, the Op simply does have access to the tool, etc...

It just makes it easier for us on the other side of the computer screen to help...

BTW, 99Yam is extremely knowledgeable about the timing aspects of most engines....

Scott

Comment

Working...
                    X