Different driveshaft size t8 lower unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different driveshaft size t8 lower unit

Hi, I bought a lower unit to replace the damaged one on my 08 high thrust T8. The drive shafts are different size. Can they be swapped?

By size do you mean length or diameter?

What is complete model identity and what is it for the replacement lower unit?

Comment

Lower unit #60S-G5300-20-4D
      Motor is T8PXH. made in June 2007. That's all I got. The serial number sticker is gone.
      The shafts are different in Length, diameter of spline. The other end of the shafts look to be same diameter. Other than that the two lower units are identical.
      Thanks for your help.

Comment

Something is not adding up.

A T8PXH came with a 60S-G5300-20-4D lower unit installed.

If you have a replacement 60S-G5300-20-4D lower unit it should plug and play.

When you refer to the shaft are you talking about the drive shaft or the propeller shaft.

A T8 uses a different propeller than does an F8. And a different propeller shaft. Are you sure that you have replacement T8 gear case?

Comment

I'm referring to the drive shaft. I bought this from a Yamaha dealer on eBay.
          Last edited by natty223; 07-10-2017, 04:15 PM. Reason: Wrong word

Comment

The listing on eBay used the part number I listed above. I had double checked it before purchasing. I guess the seller made a mistake. It was six months ago that I bought it and I just got around to swapping it out. The boat was involved in a minor collision that caused the damage to the lower unit, and I was planning on doing the work myself. I don't know if they will take it back. If not, is it possible to swap out the drive shafts?

Comment

seems you and we have no idea what the lower is, as Boscoe said it should have been plug and play but you say it will not.
              So you need to find out what the real part # is if you want advice on swapping out parts from it

Comment

Inspect the gear case for any markings that you can find. What are they?

Comment

What do you mean by gearcase? The outside of the unit has no markings of any kind other than the oil fill variety. It has a sticker(quite faded) with a barcode and the part # mentioned above on it. I also just noticed that the shift rod is different as well. The driveshaft and shift rod are both longer than the ones on the damaged unit. I have pictures, I'm trying to figure out how to post them.

Comment

the X lists as a -20-
                    the L lists as a -10-

the shaft lengths will be different

maybe you motor has been modified before,
                    but then you said the shaft diameter is different also, so it should not fit the power head

Comment

The gear case is the lower unit. When the gear case is removed you can see the water pump. There will be some cavities and such that you can see. Down in those cavities there may be some markings.

Comment

The motor was new when I bought it, with the new boat. I will look down in the gearcase when I get home from work to see if there are any markings.

Comment

The only markings I can see inside without removing the water pump. They are identical in the one that was removed
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by natty223 View Post
                            The only markings I can see inside without removing the water pump. They are identical in the one that was removed
                            That is the casting marking that I was looking for.

Have you owned the motor since it was new? Does not really matter however. I can't come up with any reason why the drive shaft length and diameter would be different.

Sorry.

Comment

Working...
                            X