Helix/Yamaha Interface Components

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helix/Yamaha Interface Components

Received my new Humminbird Helix 7 Chirp SI GPS G2N a few days ago. Installed the 7-5-17 software release ver 1.46 and then spent several hours getting the unit installed in the boat and the basic functionality operational.

Now the problem, want to interface it to my 2010 Yamaha F90TLR. The Dash cluster is analog (not sure of the model - came standard on a 2010 V172F G3 Boat).

A few questions for you experts

What Yamaha engine data can I expect to see on the Humminbird?
    What parts do I need to get the two interfaced?
    Is the interface NMEA2K or CL?
    Where might I get the needed parts?

Thanks in advance for the help
    Retired and Loving Life

Originally posted by RetiredGuy View Post

What Yamaha engine data can I expect to see on the Humminbird?
    What parts do I need to get the two interfaced?
    Is the interface NMEA2K or CL?
    Where might I get the needed parts?

Thanks in advance for the help
    Yamaha's version of NMEA 2000 is known by Yamaha as Command Link.

Command Link engine data can be fed to an NMEA 2000 network by a Lowrance 0120-37 cable to get engine data to an NMEA 2000 MFD.

The cable is available from many sources. Other companies offer an similar cables.

Unfortunately, it appears to me that the Hummingbird Helix model that you have does not have NMEA 2000 capability. I can find no mention of NMEA 2000 in the user's manual. The manual addresses NEMA 0183 only. Wth no NMEA 2000 capability there is no way to get engine data to be shown own your MFD.
    Last edited by boscoe99; 07-08-2017, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the cable info - I will get one on order

Where can I find the specific data Yamaha supplies the CL / NMEA2K data bus?

Yes my Helix7 head unit supports NMEA2K Protocol - However it looks to me like Humminbird requires an external conversion box AS-ETH-NMEA2K priced crazy high. My unit is the "G2N" version with "N" Networking capability included. Humminbird uses their proprietary Ethernet "hour glass" connector (guess it's to keep them dry) instead of the standard RJ45 connection.

So to get the data from the Yamaha - Do I need to run another cable (the one you referenced) to the engine or can I get the data from the installed wiring to the dash cluster?
      Retired and Loving Life

Comment

Everything I said relates to an MFD that has NMEA 2000 capability. I have no ideal how your Helix works using an external conversion box. If I were you I would be directing your questions to Hummingbird. That or search the inner web.

Data available from the motor is

RPM
        Voltage
        Engine temperature
        Engine hours
        Fuel burn rate
        Engine trim

Comment

Found this in a Hummingbird document available on the inner web:

http://www.comstedt.se/wp-content/up...A_NMEA200K.pdf

Comment

Thanks Again

I had a message cued and ready to send when we lost all power to the house
            Sure is nice to have a generator back up

I have many of the Yamaha and Humminbird documents (I do appreciate you linking the latest one)

What I'm really looking for is personal hands on experience with the Helix 7 interfaced to the Yamaha engine. Hoping someone here had such experience and could steer me around the pit falls with the installation
            Retired and Loving Life

Comment

You might have better luck finding someone with actual Hummingbird/Helix experience over on a bass boats forum. They seem to use Hummingbirds much more than others.

Installation seems to be pretty straightforward. Only difference I can see between the Humminbird installation and a Lowrance/Garmin/other installation is the use of an interface box between the network and the MFD. A Garmin/Lowrance installation would look like this:

Comment

Working...
              X