2016 F25 Tick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 F25 Tick

Bought a brand new leftover 2016 F25 LEHB for my boat and have just about ten hours on it now and having been trying to follow the recommended break in procedures. First trip out was a two hour break in run and it ran awesome. Second trip was a crabbing trip where I ran motor for 7 hours or so at varying rpms and shifting in and out of gear while running my lines of topless crab traps. At end of day, I disconnected my fuel line to let let engine run out of fuel and while getting truck to reload. I noticed at this time a ticking noise. I didnt really notice it at all during the day. Not thinking into it I brought boat home where I again hooked up fuel tank and ran it for 10 mins to flush it where I again heard this ticking again. Almost sounds like a valve tap but not really sure. Listening in different areas sounds like it could be valve tap but can also hear it around lower unit area. Im hoping its nothing but before taking it in and having it looked at was wondering if anybody on the forum had a suggestion on what to look for. Its a new motor so I dont know whats normal or not. Thanks!

Dave

Take it in and let them tell you what it might be.
    real hard to figure out what it could be on this side of a computer.

Comment

I am guessing that it is the cam shaft driven fuel pump. Put your hand on the pump when the motor is idling and see if that feels like it could be it.

The pump is at the back of the motor. Might not be heard when being in front of the motor with wind in the ear. If you are behind the motor the noise might be more noticeable.

Four strokes are so quiet that stuff is now heard that was always there. Before it was just masked by other noises.

Comment

Ill check it out. I read somewhere else how the fuel pumps are loud when disconnected from their fuel supplies which mine was when I noticed it. If I hook up fuel and noise is gone while running I guess that was the problem. If not, Ill take it in.

Dave

Comment

unplugging the fuel line to run it dry.
          dumbest thing I have read lately.
          simply wont happen.
          use the carb drain screw.
          the pump is dampened by the fuel.
          unplug the fuel line and it sounds like a collapsed lifter on an old chevy.

moral of the story? do not unplug the fuel line, use the drains.

Comment

I run it out and then also drain the carb of the last few drops of fuel but thanks for your suggestions. This is the way not one but two different yamaha dealers reccommended I do it for the past two yami's Ive owned.

Dave

Comment

that noise is possibly the parts in the pump being abused

Comment

find a dealership that employs a master tech.
                chat with said tech.
                that noise is "parts abuse".
                the pump is dampend by the liquid it pumps. undampend and it is excessive clearance between the pump plunger and the pump drive.

Comment

Working...
                X