Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "flushing device" improvement

so I've owned my F225TXRD for a bit over 3 years
    and all that time, after each use faithfully performed a "fresh water flush"
    using the "flushing device"

Now, I like to use a "quick disconnect" on my hoses, so I would put a "pistol sprayer" on the hose,
    and painstakingly unscrew the "flushing device" from the "adapter" where it is parked,
    and screw it onto the tip of the pistol sprayer.

After flushing, I would unscrew the "flushing device" from the hose sprayer,
    and then screw it back onto the "adapter"

Yesterday - with the boat at the dock, as I squatted, balancing on the transom,
    to reach down to unscrew the hose fitting, then screw it back on -

I had a flash of insight:
    use quick disconnect fittings.
    Last edited by fairdeal; 07-06-2017, 09:34 PM.

one kept permanently screwed onto the "adapter"
    the other permanently screwed into the "flush device"
    joined together - they are sealed - no flow, no water loss

when I want to flush - "pop" - the "flush device" hose comes right out

and then "quick connects" to my garden hose

took me more than three years to figure this out...
    Last edited by fairdeal; 07-06-2017, 09:35 PM.

Comment

took me more than three years to figure this out...[/QUOTE]

genius doesn't always work overnight!
      Dennis
      Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

Can we get a test done to measure the flow of water directly from the outlet of the hose pipe and then through the quick disconnect fittings?

With the spigot opened the same, how long to fill a five gallon bucket one way versus how long to fill same said bucket through the fitting?

Will the flow difference matter?

Comment

Do you think you get more flow thru the quick connect that thru the sprayer?
          I think it may, but am not sure

Comment

would the pressure created by the smaller fittings not be a better flush as it would flow through better than the flow from the larger fitting that does not have as much pressure behind it? Kind of like the adjustable spay nozzle the jet stream will normally clean the sidewalk faster than the full setting?
            Dennis

Comment

I think I might get a bit more flow than the pistol sprayer allowed.
              But not having to thread on, thread off is the main advantage.

with the boat on a trailer standing alongside the engine, it's trivial
              Reaching down, one handed, while squatting -
              It was surprisingly difficult.
              Would always want to cross thread, would take several tries

Comment

thoughts?
                I think most everybody is nuts.

Comment

I have used those Melnor QD's everywhere for years including my muffs and the flush fittings, my wash down nozzle, the garden sprinkler, even the 2k PSI electric pressure washer. There is such a restriction on the Yamaha 1/4" ID flush hose that I never considered if it were inadequate. I never thought to make that suggestion here, sorry Scott...

What I really think is neat is that the Melnor QD's cut water flow like shop air on a compressor air hose (unlike the brass water Quick Disconnects by Rain Bird we had as kids thirty years ago). When I want to stop flushing, I simply pop the QD and the water stops flowing... switch to hose nozzle? Pop it on! (I find it easier to connect a device that is open for flowing). I no longer need to walk to the hose bib, turn it off and switch, then turn water back on.

Now, when I back the trainer into the driveway, I will connect an engine as I soon as possible, usually while I do an initial walk around to ensure that I am parked / positioned proper. By the time I get the trailer jacked , disconnected, and chocked, it is almost time to switch to the other engine. If I do nothing else, I get the engines flushed as soon as possible.

NOTE: Home Depot has these in stock as a kit that is somewhat deceptive. When you get the kit (in store) of what appears to be two sets, it is really only one set is one direction and another set in opposite gender. If you order online and deliver to the store, you can get just the desired sets as has been pictured here (that is 3/4 female hose thread to female Qd and 3/4 male hose thread on Male Qd) anything else is just queer.
                  Last edited by FabricGATOR; 07-07-2017, 01:41 PM.
                  If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                    thoughts?
                    I think most everybody is nuts.
                    I always liked "bat sht crazy" for women.

And "crazier than a shthouse rat" applied to men.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                      I always liked "bat sht crazy" for women.
                      Yep, pretty much applies to them all.

Reminds me of an old saying. "If women were men then men would not have anything to do with them."

And just remember, the mate of the smartest and most beautiful looking woman in the world, after having been with her for just a short while, is going to be sick of her sh1t.

I hope Melissa of boats.net is not viewing this trash. If you don't hear from me again, I guess she was.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                        Yep, pretty much applies to them alL

I hope Melissa of boats.net is not viewing this trash. If you don't hear from me again, I guess she was.
                        I didn't think of her....

We both probably are doomed

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                          I didn't think of her....

We both probably are doomed

I always found it easy to ask for forgiveness after I did what I wanted!!!!
                          Dennis

Comment

I didn't realize you could connect these 'hot'. It's a bit aggravating to trudge back and forth to the spigot to turn on/off the water. I'll need to look into these!!

Comment

Can I leave the quick disconnect attached to my outboard and use the boat without having any overheating issues

Comment

Working...
                              X