Yamaha 2b 2 stroke, 2 hp - fitting a kill switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 2b 2 stroke, 2 hp - fitting a kill switch

I am keen to fit a kill switch to my 2b 2 stroke, 2hp engine. I have removed the existing off switch which is a metal body with one white wire which connects to the loom c/o a bullet connection. The switch is bolted on to the front control panel and a black earth ring is connected too which itself is bolted to the engine chassis. Does any one know if the switch is open when in use and closes when pressed to complete the circuit or is it the opposite? Can I source a kill switch to take the place of the stop switch which will fit the hole and depth allowed. All help appreciated

The kill switch is normally open to allow the motor to run. The switch closing stops the motor.

Need more information about your specific model. Do you have the complete ID?

I don't see any reason why a kill switch could not be installed on your motor in whatever spot you find to be convenient. You can then be like the bajillion other users who have one but don't wear it.
    Last edited by boscoe99; 07-06-2017, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. The engine has a plate which has the following serial numbers 2b 6A1 154504 . I was hoping to fit the kill switch in the same place as the existing ie. replace it if possible? Do you know where I can source one which would fit and be an open style switch ?
      Last edited by Adeyyamaha; 07-06-2017, 03:13 PM. Reason: Corrected serial number

Comment

Originally posted by Adeyyamaha View Post
        Thanks for your reply. The engine has a plate which has the following serial numbers 2b 6A1 154504 . I was hoping to fit the kill switch in the same place as the existing ie. replace it if possible? Do you know where I can source one which would fit and be an open style switch ?
        All kill switches are open when the lanyard is installed. If and when the lanyard is pulled from the switch the switch closes and stops the motor.

Many kill switch are also used as normal stop switches. That is, with the lanyard installed the switch may be pressed to stop the motor.

Go to the Yamaha parts catalog and find a tiller steered model with a combination kill/stop switch. Start with the 3 HP models and work your way up. You should be able to find something that can take the place of your stop switch.

Comment

Cheers, many thanks indeed

Comment

Do you want a kill switch or a kill button?....a standard red kill button can be purchased and wired to just ground out( or to earth as some folks call it) the circuit....

Comment

why did you not like the old one?

Comment

not all switchs are normally open.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                  not all switchs are normally open.
                  Absolutely. Which is which is the question du jour.

Do you know the situation with respect to a 2MSHA? The SM diagram shows the stop switch as being in the open position. Which I am interpreting to be the normal position for the switch until it is pressed.

HOWEVER - the owner's manual says that pressing the stop button opens the ignition circuit and stops the engine.

Am I misreading the 2MSHA diagram or is the owner's manual a bit misleading?

Maybe the OP will inspect his motor and let us know "the rest of the story".

Comment

Working...
                  X