02 Yamaha 175 hpdi just clicks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 02 Yamaha 175 hpdi just clicks

I have a 2002 Yama 175 hpdi that is just clicking when you turn the key. It will eventually start but takes many key turns. I've cleaned the cables and put a new starter relay in as well as checked all fuses. Anyone have any input as to what it may be. Thanks.

Low voltage in the battery or low voltage at the starter motor. Could be the battery cables themselves or any connection point along the way.

Was is the voltage on the red wire terminal at the starter motor when you hear the click? I suspect that it will be very low.

And don't forget the ground connections as well.

Comment

How did you clean the cables? did you remove the battery terminals and actually clean them? have you inspected the battery cables end to end to see if there is any obvious bulges are corrosion? is the battery good?

Comment

you need an alternator.

or you need to bust out the voltmeter and test the cables and the start relay.

Comment

Guys it appears it was just a sticky shaft on the starter. I put a shot of wd40 on the shaft and it seems to be starting" just fine. I assume the shaft had become"dry" and it was sticking a little instead of fully popping up when you turn the key.

Comment

The fault description of "just clicks" was not what was actually happening then was it? It's hard enough to help from behind a keyboard, let alone with wrong fault information!

Comment

Working...
            X