Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choke sticking

1988 Yamaha L150 ETXG
    Choke is sticking when using either manual or electric. I disconnected electric choke to see if it might be getting hung up but that wasn't it. I have tried cleaning and re lubricating the spring assembly(s) but have not disassembled anything as I ma not the best Carb guy. Can somebody direct me to what to try next?? They move easily when you pull the manual choke and I had them working on the electric but they are hanging up again when fully closed off and won't release unless I touch the top of the rod and push it down. Suggestions???

While likely not your issue, how to the electrical connections look? Could be as simple as a cleaning and di-electric grease.

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300
      1988 L150ETXG Yamaha Outboard CARBUETOR Diagram and Parts

Carbs don't seem to be any special, butterfly's only.

*Are you sure the electric choke solenoid is fully releasing?*

It appears part #21 below is the choke solenoid and part #23 a spring (probably for a return).

Is #21 indeed the choke solenoid and is there a visible spring?:
      1988 L150ETXG Yamaha Outboard ELECTRIC PARTS 2 Diagram and Parts

Can you try disconnecting linkage to each butterfly shaft and see if one carb specifically is hanging up?

IDK if there's an adjustment between the choke linkages for all the carbs but if so, try loosening, then re-tighten making sure there's no binding(syncing all the linkages/butterfly's)..

Has any recent work/ issues been done to the engine?
      Other than me trying to free it up no work has been done recently(other than tune up) I disconnected the electric choke and manually engaged and it stuck shut. I ran it last weekend and had to pop the cowling to get the choke open. Once it fires no choke is needed. However I towed it back from Clearwater to winter haven (about 2 hours) and had to use the choke to start it at the lake and it released fine. I ma thinking something is "gunky" and while the engine was hot it released but after it cools it hangs up. I will take the linkage apart this weekend and see if it is an individual carb and report back. Hopefully it is just one carb causing the issue.

Comment

Working...
      X