• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha tachometer alarm

YAMAHA TACH ALARM
    On a 2003 Yamaha 200 2 Stroke

We went out Fishing Saturday ...
    45 Minute ride to get where we were going

Moved about 3-4 times after that 5 or 10 minute ride Each time.

NO ISSUE What So Ever

Then

Started to head BACK about 6 Hours later

The Alarm started sounding
    The TACH started Flashing ( ALL 3 ) Icons

I wonder what the hell is going on.
    RPM's went down and we came to a crawl

Would not go over 2000 RPM's

-------------------------------------

a couple of weeks when something similar happened
    I was not able to get the boat to go more than maybe 3 knots maybe 4
    I did not have gauges at that time

Someone a Marine Mech. said It might be me over heating the engine.
    he recommended changing the Thermostat. So I did, But then the above happened . . .

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/n...uote=1&p=18582
    Attached Files

Low voltage or the engine mounted tank is low on oil while the remote tank has plenty of oil.

Comment

Should the tank on the Engine lose all the oil in 1 trip ... ?

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
      Low voltage or the engine mounted tank is low on oil while the remote tank has plenty of oil.

Comment

have you paid attention to how small the tank is on the motor?
        do a little math to see how much oil you need to burn with the amount of fuel you burn in one trip.

I would say yes, that is why they make that tank auto filling

Comment

But would the Engine tank empty in one trip out 12 miles and a couple of moves , about 30 minutes of moves and 12 miles out,

The tank, I think should have not emptied ... Right ?

Comment

Where would the pump be located ?
            2002 - 2101 Seaswirl Stripper DC

Originally posted by ScotFromFlorida View Post

Comment

well did you look to see if the tank was low?
              if it was not then what Boscoe posted would mean you are left with a low voltage situation
              30 MPH running for 45 minutes is more than 12 miles plus the moves and the start back.
              but I have no idea really how you were running it or how much oil you should have used
              Last edited by 99yam40; 06-26-2017, 07:53 PM.

Comment

The boat mounted tank should keep the engine mounted tank filled with oil. Automatically without the operator knowing about it.

When the boat mounted tank gets low the right hand bar disappears and the middle bar flashes. When the engine mounted tank gets low the middle bar disappears and the left hand bar flashes. The alarm sounds. The motor goes into RPM reduction mode.

If for some reason the boat mounted tank remained full but the engine mounted tank was low (say the automatic transfer could not happen) then all three bars flash. The alarm sounds. The motors goes into RPM reduction mode.

If both oil tanks are filled and all three bars are flashing, the alarm is sounding and the motor is in RPM reduction mode that typically indicates a low voltage situation.

Re the question can the main tank get empty in one trip, depends upon how long the trip was and how much oil was being used.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

Comment

Why Should I go through the whole ENGINE TANK of oil in 1 trip ?

12 mile going out 3 or 4 - 5 minute moves and the Engine Tank

NOW THE key turns on and Alarm sounds without starting . . .

Comment

have you even removed the cowling and looked to see it the tank is low?

if it is not then why are we even talking about it?

look at it yourself and report back, we cannot
                      Last edited by 99yam40; 06-26-2017, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Sorry for that ... Yes I did and it's just about empty, But i filled it ( THE ENGINE TANK ) a day before I went out ...

now its just about empty - How can that be ?

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                        have you even remover the cowling and looked to see it the tank is low?

if it is not then why are we even talking about it?

look at it yourself and report back, we cannot

Comment

well it seems your oil refill system is broke.
                          I would fix that before worrying about the oil burn rate.

If you really want to dig into it.
                          find out how much oil the tank holds between the full mark and the low alarm mark.
                          then do the math on how much gas you need to burn to use that much oil to see if it is out of wack with how much gas you used

Comment

Originally posted by ScotFromFlorida View Post
                            Sorry for that ... Yes I did and it's just about empty, But i filled it ( THE ENGINE TANK ) a day before I went out ...

now its just about empty - How can that be ?

The low oil alarm will continue to sound until the oil level in the main tank (engine) is in between the two lines. If you're turning the key to ON position and the remote oil tank pump is not pumping oil into the main tank then there is a problem with either the pump or the small filter maybe clogged.

You also seem to be more concerned with how much oil is being used during your trip. Is the engine burning a lot more oil now than your prior trips?
                            Jason
                            1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Working...
                            X