Help wiring trim/oil harness from older digital multifunction gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help wiring trim/oil harness from older digital multifunction gauge

So I have an older style Yamaha multifunction tach that I need some help with getting the trim and oil harness hooked up right. I'm having to do some splicing to get it working since they changed the terminal type on the gauge to motor.

Coming out of the gauge to run to the outboard is a Grey, Green/White, Green/Red, Pink, Black, Orange.

On the motor side I have two plugs. One Pink and black, which is supposed to be the trim meter according to my service manual. The other is Pink, Pink, Pink/Black, Pink/Black, which is supposed to be the warning indicator.

Does anybody know how these are supposed to match up? The motor is a 2004 Yamaha F200 if that matters.

What do you need help with figuring out? Even splicing in the wires you'd just connect same color wires together. 3 separate harnesses span engine to console...tach, control, and oil.

Below is a picture of a standard tach wire schematic

Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post
      What do you need help with figuring out? Even splicing in the wires you'd just connect same color wires together. 3 separate harnesses span engine to console...tach, control, and oil.
      I need to know how the Grey, Green/White, Green/Red, Pink, Black, Orange from the gauge hooks to the two plugs on the outboard. There is a disjoint in wire coloring at the outboard for the trim meter and warning plugs. The trim meter plug on the outboard is pink and black -- what two wires from the gauge goes to those?.... The warning indicator plug on the outboard is 2x pink, 2x pink/black -- what four wires from the gauge goes to those?

There's no way to just follow same color wires at the outboard for tach and oil. There's no green/red, green/white, grey or orange option on the outboard side, so that's why I'm lost. The second picture is what I'm working with on the outboard side.
      Last edited by wiznut86; 06-15-2017, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Gotcha. Do you have the engine side harness part number? That would be a big help. Otherwise, hopefully someone familiar with the engine harness your using responds.

Until such time, here is Yam's tach wire color guide:

Jason
        1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post
          Gotcha. Do you have the engine side harness part number? That would be a big help. Otherwise, hopefully someone familiar with the engine harness your using responds.

Until such time, here is Yam's tach wire color guide:

It looks like the PN for my harness is 69J-82590-40-00. The whole wire color guide comes up short since it doesn't even have pink/black or pink/white options. I do need to make a correction on the warning plug (#26) ... it's actually pink, pink/white, 2x pink/black.

This is the wiring diagram on the outboard side.... Looking at #9 (Trim meter) and #26 (warning indicator)... #9 is Pink, Black. #26 is Pink, pink/white, pink/black, pink/black.

Thus my confusion of where a grey, orange, green/red, green/white, black/white and single pink goes to lol.

Comment

Boscoe will have this cleared up in a flash.

what puzzles me is that two wire trim connector - thought that connected to the trim sender on the bracket

where are the wires from the trim sender plugged into?
            Last edited by fairdeal; 06-15-2017, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Need to see the front of the tachometer. Does it have warning lights? Is it four stroke compatible?

Looks to be hard wired today for an older model two stroke, given all of the wires involved. A later model year four stroke is only going to use three of those wires.

Comment

Here is Boscoe's best guess. Presumes the tachometer is suitable with a four stroke motor. I don't know what tachometer that is.

With the tachometer set to the four stroke mode, apply power and a ground to the tachometer. Connect the pink wire to a ground. The trim bars should move. Connect the gray wire to a ground. The over temperature light should illuminate. Connect the green/red wire to a ground. The low oil pressure light should illuminate.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                  Need to see the front of the tachometer. Does it have warning lights? Is it four stroke compatible?

Looks to be hard wired today for an older model two stroke, given all of the wires involved. A later model year four stroke is only going to use three of those wires.

Here's a front and back of the gauge before I clipped the old terminals. I'll do all those ground checks like you said and report back! Seriously appreciate it!

Comment

That is an old dog tachometer. 1993 and earlier. You can tell by the round connectors. I doubt it will work with a four stroke.

How come I see round connectors in one photo but butt splices in another photo?

A 2004 F200 deserves better. You should be able to find a more modern used tachometer for about a hundred bucks on Ebay or Craigslist.

Comment

That is an old dog tachometer. 1993 and earlier. You can tell by the round connectors. I doubt it will work with a four stroke.

How come I see round connectors in one photo but butt splices in another photo?

A 2004 F200 deserves better. You should be able to find a more modern used tachometer for about a hundred bucks on Ebay or Craigslist.

It'd be nice to find a newer one for a hundred bucks, but haven't had luck yet. The pic with the round connectors was before I clipped them to connect to wires to go to the outboard. The trim/oil harness doesn't use those round connectors anymore. What part of it do you not think will work with a four stroke? The dial on the back has a setting for 12 pole motors and the rest of the wiring matches up to the dual fuse harness going to the key switch.

Comment

Now that I study it some more I don't think that tachometer has an over temperature warning light. Just three lights for a two stroke oil system. If you get the buzzer alarm but no light then you will know what the warning horn is all about.

There may be a way to change the pole positions so as to get the RPM reading correct. I don't know. Don't think so, but I was wrong once before. Try it and let us know what you find out.

The tachometer was designed for a motor with a three wire trim sender. You motor uses a two wire trim sender. Not sure if it will work correctly or not. Let us know. This is how we all learn. Problem being trying to remember stuff learned in the past well into the future.

Comment

Now that I study it some more I don't think that tachometer has an over temperature warning light. Just three lights for a two stroke oil system. If you get the buzzer alarm but no light then you will know what the warning horn is all about.

There may be a way to change the pole positions so as to get the RPM reading correct. I don't know. Don't think so, but I was wrong once before. Try it and let us know what you find out.

The tachometer was designed for a motor with a three wire trim sender. You motor uses a two wire trim sender. Not sure if it will work correctly or not. Let us know. This is how we all learn. Problem being trying to remember stuff learned in the past well into the future.

There is a dial on the back of the tach to select poles of 4/6/8/12. It should be right with the 12 pole selected I would think. I powered the tach up on the bench and did some ground testing (Yellow +, black grounded). The green/red wire gave an arrow for the white circle on the left when grounded (no idea what the symbol represents though). Green/White didn't visibly do anything. When I grounded the orange, it reset the whole gauge. When I grounded the pink, it cycled the trim bars. Grounded the black/white did nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by wiznut86 View Post
                            There is a dial on the back of the tach to select poles of 4/6/8/12. It should be right with the 12 pole selected I would think. I powered the tach up on the bench and did some ground testing (Yellow +, black grounded). The green/red wire gave an arrow for the white circle on the left when grounded (no idea what the symbol represents though). It means low oil quantity in the main oil tank. Green/White didn't visibly do anything. When I grounded the orange, it reset the whole gauge. Orange is voltage from the tachometer. Not a good idea to be grounding power. When I grounded the pink, it cycled the trim bars. Grounded the black/white did nothing.

Poles are poles. Two strokes fire twice as often as four strokes. Even though they may use the same number of poles.

Tachometers for both two and four strokes have a switch so that it can be changed from one type of motor to a different type of motor. Even it they both have the same number of poles.

Ever heard the saying "you can't get there from here"?

Comment

Poles are poles. Two strokes fire twice as often as four strokes. Even though they may use the same number of poles.
                              ***. Spent the morning "offshore" fishing, just finished my second beer.
                              I have every confidence in Boscoe - but at this point my brain can not begin to grasp that.

right now it seems to me that a "revolution is a revolution" - regardless of whether or not it is a power stroke.
                              and FWIW it seems all 4-strokes are 12-pole

Oh well.

I'm really liking what the OP is up to here.
                              He only gets two possible warnings anyway - low oil pressure, high temp -
                              which the ECU "turns on" by grounding

so if the gauge can display two different "symbols" - he make make them mean whichever he wants

Comment

Working...
                              X