Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 stroke oil coming from carburetor (lots of it)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 stroke oil coming from carburetor (lots of it)

Hello,

I just purchased a used 1985 115 Yamaha outboard (model 115ETLK) with precision blend oil injection. I took it for the first run and the next day pulled the cover to check the motor and found half of the oil injection bottle on the engine had dumped into the plastic carburetor cover and had gotten deep enough in the lower cowling to start dripping down the throttle and shift cables into the boat (motor was tilted up).

The oil was coming from a small brass button in the lower starboard carburetor ventri, the other three were fine. I found a few carb schematics but didn't find any that identified the little brass button. I am assuming it is like an oil jet that is part of the oil injection system but can anyone tell me why it is leaking? I'll probably wind up taking it apart but it would be nice to hear if someone knows what's up before I take it apart. I'll post a picture.

Thanks
    Attached Files

Check orientation of filter and cap on engine mounted oil reservoir. Align markings. On same filter on a bottom is small foam washer, check if it is there.

Comment

bad check valves in oil lines or pump

Comment

There are two books for Yamaha 2 strokes: operation manual, available view at Yamaha website, and service manual, CD or download. Have them and read them.

Comment

Unless physically damaged, valves on oil lines works forever. Engine mounted oil pump pushed oil very slow. Disconnecting those valves just for the sake of checking them, will create air bubble in oil injection system. After that engine has to be started and running on 1:50 premix until all air purged. Failure to do so will lead to cylinders wall damage.

Comment

Originally posted by amahaork View Post
            There are two books for Yamaha 2 strokes: operation manual, available view at Yamaha website, and service manual, CD or download. Have them and read them.
            I have no idea how this is associated to the OPs oil leak, but if Yamaha web site has the service manual offered in CD or download please post a link to that.
            all I have ever seen was owners manual for viewing only and service manual in hard copy you can buy from them and they will print and ship to you

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
              I have no idea how this is associated to the OPs oil leak, but if Yamaha web site has the service manual offered in CD or download please post a link to that.
              all I have ever seen was owners manual for viewing only and service manual in hard copy you can buy from them and they will print and ship to you
              I have a Yamaha shop manual PDF (besides the hard copy). Link given to me when my hard copy didn't come in on time from the marina...
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

maybe so, but I bet you cannot post up a link to the Yamaha site where you can down load it

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                  maybe so, but I bet you cannot post up a link to the Yamaha site where you can down load it
                  There's obviously a site, accessible to dealers only...
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Unless physically damaged, valves on oil lines works forever. Engine mounted oil pump pushed oil very slow. Disconnecting those valves just for the sake of checking them, will create air bubble in oil injection system. After that engine has to be started and running on 1:50 premix until all air purged. Failure to do so will lead to cylinders wall damage.
                    Failure may not be an everyday thing but they do fail, and it will result in the oil running out when it should not.

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                      There's obviously a site, accessible to dealers only...
                      so are we discussing web sites owners can not get to or ones they can

Comment

Inspect the oil pump. There is a link rod connecting the oil pump to a lever located on the carbs. The link rod moves the lever back and forth, allowing oil to enter fuel system. The oil pump at rest might be stuck "open", thus allowing oil to consistently flow, even while the engine is off. This excessive oil flow can be exacerbated if the engine is tilted up.

1985 115ETLK Yamaha Outboard OIL PUMP Diagram and Parts
                        Jason
                        1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

This posting is worthless without pictures. Most of the time original poster messing up with engine. Trick is to restore engine to original condition and everything will work by the book. Just read and follow manual. Period.

Comment

This posting is worthless without pictures. Most of the time original poster messing up with engine. Trick is to restore engine to original condition and everything will work by the book. Just read and follow manual. Period.
                            Not necessarily. OP stated he just bought the engine. After purchasing my engine I noticed the same or similar oil leak the OP is experiencing. Found the oil pump rod linkage was loose, allowing oil to dump into carbs. Simple fix. But to a new owner, finding this oil leak would be alarming.
                            Jason
                            1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

how come you did not post a link to the site you mentioned where the service manual from Yamaha can be downloaded?

Comment

Working...
                              X