Need help [ Garmin to Yamaha 6YC gauge for speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help [ Garmin to Yamaha 6YC gauge for speed

I have Yamaha F150 twins. The pitot tube constantly gets clogged. My last engines I was able to use GPS speed instead of "through the water" with the engines. New engines and new gauge. How the heck do I get the 6YC gauge to use GPS from my Garmin 7015? I have the Yamaha gateway and the hub.

Any help would be appreciated. The installing dealer doesn't know.

Thanks

The display will have a connector on the back. For inputs from fuel tanks and an NMEA 0183 device. Just wire the GPS speed output from your MFD to the 6YC display.
    Last edited by boscoe99; 06-05-2017, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Uhhh. I don't have any 0183 set up. It's all NEMA 2000. Is there not a setting on the 6YC to tell the gauge to use something else?

Thanks

Comment

its easy to do -and cheap
        just two wire connections
        we'll help you with the details

Garmin 010-11425-05 Right Angle NMEA 0183 Cable for 6212 7212 7215 6208 GPSMAP | eBay

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Charles View Post
          Uhhh. I don't have any 0183 set up. It's all NEMA 2000. Is there not a setting on the 6YC to tell the gauge to use something else?

Thanks
          Uhhh. You surely do. According to Garmin anyway.

You said you want GPS speed on your 6YC display. We are providing advice as to the best way to get there from here.

Comment

OK. So there's two wires coming off the back of the 6YC. A blue and a white wire marked + and -. Any one know which wires off the Garmin go to which of those?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Charles View Post
              Any one know which wires off the Garmin go to which of those?
              There are several wires within the 19 wire NMEA 0183 harness which will work -

Boscoe has provided for you above - highlited for you - one suggestion that Garmin makes in your unit manual:

The Yamaha white is the Rx(+) - connect it to the Garmin gray wire
              which is the Port 1 TX (+)

Connect the Yamaha blue - which is the Rx(-) - to the Garmin black

Comment

once you've made the connections, you will also need to change a setting in the Garmin menu for "Transmit Port 1" as explained :

Comment

and your engines also need the optional speed sensor installed.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                    and your engines also need the optional speed sensor installed.
                    To get GPS speed???

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                      once you've made the connections, you will also need to change a setting in the Garmin menu for "Transmit Port 1" as explained :

Is there any menu setting for NMEA 2000 inputs? The Gateway is supposed to allow GPS speed/time/lat long to the 6YC display. I have never read or heard of anyone being able to get it to work. Which is why I always recommend NMEA 0183 as source data.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                        Is there any menu setting for NMEA 2000 inputs?
                        None that I have ever seen, on Garmin or other equipment.
                        Either a device is connected to the network or its not.
                        Either data is present on the network, or its not.

Night / day difference from 0183, where besides "Garmin Std" vs "NMEA Std"
                        you have baud rate choices
                        and each individual data "sentence" can be separately enabled/disabled

It would be interesting to read a technical explanation of exactly what the Yamaha Gateway does - and how it does it...

Comment

It would be interesting to read a technical explanation of exactly what the Yamaha Gateway does - and how it does it...
                          What it is supposed to do is one thing. How it is supposed to be doing it is something altogether different. For the former all I know is what the manual says. For the latter I know nothing at all.

I am waiting for the Yamaha/Garmin display to arrive.

Comment

I have Garmin echomap 43dv and 6YC ....
                            I have followed those instructions, I have placed standard port nmea0183 ... and unfortunately I can not get 6YC to recognize the GPS ...
                            One more question: I have a pilot tube connected to 6YC that gives wrong values ....
                            The question is, what happens when the 6YC is connected to a pilot tube and a GPS (using nmea183) .... which instrument does it use to measure the speed? ... It automatically selects one of the instruments .. Or the user must choose the measuring instrument ?.
                            I hope you understand the question (sorry for my English as a translator).
                            Thank you very much.
                            Gabriel

Comment

lets make sure you connected the correct color wire for the echomap:

the Garmin Rx wire - brown - is not used.
                              Connect the Yamaha white to the Garmin blue
                              connect the Yamaha blue to the Garmin black (the ground)

I am not aware of a menu setting in the 6YC to choose which input for speed -

perhaps Boscoe will correct that, or confirm.

your English, by the way, is excellent. As good, or better, than the typical Yamaha technical writing...

Comment

Working...
                              X