need opinions and a good mechanic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need opinions and a good mechanic

2008 F250, 425 hours, well maintained. This spring the starboard engine smelled rich and was running rough. I thought it may be just winter gas working it's way through the engine. I put in new plugs, water separators, fuel filters, changed the oil and gear oil. While cruising, I noticed the rpms on the right were lower than those on the left when both handles are even, normally they are the same. I was told that there was a knock, but I didn't hear it. It is running rough and I want to get it fixed before I take any long trips or damage the engine. So, I am looking for opinions on the problem as well as any tips on a reasonable and skilled mechanic in the Jersey Shore area.

have no opinion on the problem

the "Jersey Shore" covers a lot of ground -
    but if you are close to Waretown,
    I've had good experiences with South Harbor Marine
    competent and on-the-level

Comment

Sorry, I am in the Point Pleasant area. Waretown is a little far. Thanks anyway.

Comment

Years ago I had success with Rudy's Marine in Delaware.

As to opinion -

A less discussed issue could be carbon build-up. I've read decarbonizing remedies that include SeaFoam, Yamaha Ring Free, Marvin's Mystery Oil and water injection.

I suspect old E10 fuel crapped up your system.

As I understand, ethanol likes minimum 5% water, which is why the 190 proof is the max you'll find at the liquor store. Our E10 fuel is manufactured without that 5%. Consequently that pure ethanol is hygroscopic and can pull water out of humidity to get the 5%. When that happens, the fuel will phase separate, in other words the alcohol, a solvent great at attacking synthetic materials, will fall out of the gasoline and collect at the bottom of the tank and expose your system to much higher concentrations than the rated 10% ethanol. A buddy elsewhere posted pictures of his delaminated two year old E10 rated fuel line. You can guess where the rest of the line went.

Unfortunately, IMHO no amount of fuel treatment, carb/injector cleaner will fix a fuel system fouled by old ethanol gas. When I fell victim, I personally rebuilt my three 90TLR's carbs, but the next key turn undid my work because the upstream lines and tank were fouled.

Rudy's Marine put me back in shape and provided guidance moving forward. Their quote included $300 for fuel system cleaning plus $3/gal disposal charge for the remaining fuel. Instead, I replaced the tank, lines and everything upstream of the outboard for less.

Since then I pump all fuel off the boat between trips, drain the carb bowls, empty the water separating filter and leave the tanks upside down and open to completely dry. Haven't had issue since.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

assuming you are correct, why 1 engine running perfectly and the other not? If it were bad gas, then both would be acting up. I add star tron at each fill-up. I change the water separators every 100 hours as well as the fuel filters. Also, I don't have the resources or time to drain my tanks and do all the extras that you do. But I appreciate the feedback.

Comment

eastpoint - Can't offer explanation why one motor and not both. And I offer only an opinion.

For diagnosis, when I have my act together, I'll list all possibilities for the issue and then sort repairs low to high price.

Maybe something obvious is loose under the cowl?

Please keep us posted.

Comment

Working...
            X