Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are fuel treatments (like Seafoam or Gumout) worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

aahhh, the never ending saga of fuel additives. To use or not to use–that is the question...Shakespeare really meant to write.

No matter how good or bad you maintain your OB, use a fuel stabilizer. Pretty much little debate about this, especially because of the large number of unpredictable variables involved.

Adding a de-carbing agent is more debatable, but none can denounce its long term usage benefit, when accompanied with a well maintained engine. Burning of fuel emits carbon. Carbon builds up over time. Running a de-carb agent routinely, or running a de-carbing shock treatment, in the long run will have positive effects on engine performance.
    Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post
      aahhh, the never ending saga of fuel additives. To use or not to use–that is the question...Shakespeare really meant to write.

No matter how good or bad you maintain your OB, use a fuel stabilizer. Pretty much little debate about this, especially because of the large number of unpredictable variables involved.

Adding a de-carbing agent is more debatable, but none can denounce its long term usage benefit, when accompanied with a well maintained engine. Burning of fuel emits carbon. Carbon builds up over time. Running a de-carb agent routinely, or running a de-carbing shock treatment, in the long run will have positive effects on engine performance.
      I plan on using the stabilizer for any fuel that will be stored long-term.

But for the de-carbing agent, I don't see why I should add something like Ring-Free to the fuel tank regularly when I can just use the combustion chamber cleaner to de-carb it once per season. Adding it regularly to the fuel seems like overkill if I'm running the tank down every 2-3 weeks.
      2011 F50TLR, 2010 G3 V167C

Comment

Originally posted by rejesterd View Post
        I plan on using the stabilizer for any fuel that will be stored long-term.

But for the de-carbing agent, I don't see why I should add something like Ring-Free to the fuel tank regularly when I can just use the combustion chamber cleaner to de-carb it once per season. Adding it regularly to the fuel seems like overkill if I'm running the tank down every 2-3 weeks.
        RF regular operational use is 1 oz per 10 gallons. So a regular bottle lasts 320 gallons. Probably MANY years and cheaper in the end for you.

As noted earlier, the RF helps keep the FUEL SYSTEM CLEAN. The combustion chamber cleaner does NOT. You probably already know, it IS recommended in the owners manual to use it.

**Simply look on this forum and at the issues. Fueling (mostly carbs) are about the highest, then cooling, electrical, etc.**

Gas Shok is also 1 oz / 10 Gallons so that goes a long way as well.

Being FI'ed the RF is not nearly as critical as a carbed motor for use.

Your F50 runs a WHOLE lot cleaner than an two stroke, or worse yet a 2 stoke on pre-mix. IE carbon build up shouldn't be much of an issue for you...
        Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 06-06-2017, 07:34 AM.
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
          RF regular operational use is 1 oz per 10 gallons. So a regular bottle lasts 320 gallons. Probably MANY years and cheaper in the end for you.

As noted earlier, the RF helps keep the FUEL SYSTEM CLEAN. The combustion chamber cleaner does NOT. You probably already know, it IS recommended in the owners manual to use it.

**Simply look on this forum and at the issues. Fueling (mostly carbs) are about the highest, then cooling, electrical, etc.**

Gas Shok is also 1 oz / 10 Gallons so that goes a long way as well.

Being FI'ed the RF is not nearly as critical as a carbed motor for use.

Your F50 runs a WHOLE lot cleaner than an two stroke, or worse yet a 2 stoke on pre-mix. IE carbon build up shouldn't be much of an issue for you...
          Thanks for pointing out the dosage for RingFree.. if it lasts for years, then it's definitely worth the little money it would cost. I do now see that the owner's manual mentions RingFree, thanks. I missed it before.

I agree that I probably won't have lots of carbon buildup issues because it's a newer EFI engine. I'll continue to treat the fuel with RingFree (or an equivalent cleaner that has PEA) just to be safe. I just think I've been treating it way too much over the last year that I've had the boat.. I know it's probably not harmful to the engine if I overdose the treatment, but it's harmful to my wallet.

Comment

Originally posted by rejesterd View Post
            Thanks for pointing out the dosage for RingFree.. if it lasts for years, then it's definitely worth the little money it would cost. I do now see that the owner's manual mentions RingFree, thanks. I missed it before.

I agree that I probably won't have lots of carbon buildup issues because it's a newer EFI engine. I'll continue to treat the fuel with RingFree (or an equivalent cleaner that has PEA) just to be safe. I just think I've been treating it way too much over the last year that I've had the boat.. I know it's probably not harmful to the engine if I overdose the treatment, but it's harmful to my wallet.
            The RF SHOCK amount is 2 oz / one gallon

Read this thread, post #22 specifically:

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...e-th28109.html

How well RF worked for this member(nothing else done).

And your correct, overdosing with RF only hurts your wallet. I use it on all my customers engines (small yard engines-99% clogged carbs)

Scott

Comment

are you saying you did not read the directions on the container when adding to your tank
              lots of people seem to do that

I guess it is written on the container, I have not read it myself

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                are you saying you did not read the directions on the container when adding to your tank

Regular use, it's labeled.

For shock use it's not. I had to call Yamaha and even that took awhile to get an answer...
                Scott

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

Well I had been using Seafoam, not RingFree. And I was using about 1/2 can every time I filled up. Going forward, I'll just do the little 1 oz shot of RingFree.

Comment

real men do not read instructions.
                    ever.

Comment

Makers of Ringfee and Techron is Oronite Additives Division of Chevron....been around a long time....lots of interesting reading regarding many types of additives....marine/outboards just a segment of their business...

Comment

Working...
                      X