Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 Yamaha HPDI 200 HP - not running correctly

LZ200TXRB engine model

I read many of the posts about the HPDI's i couldn't find an exact situation like mine. Figured I would give this a shot. I plan to take the motor in to a Yamaha dealer in the morning to hook it up to the computer to read codes, etc.

This motor was running perfectly last week. During a 8-10 hour fishing day. 750 hours on motor in total. Never any issues.

Due to other motor needing new filters and pumps, decided to do preventative LP fuel pump, filter, and strainer changes.

Replaced two Low Pressure fuel pumps.
    Replaced strainer after VST tank.
    Replaced filter in clear tube.
    Reading 50-55 PSI on VST tank.

Ran the motor on muffs, looks good.

Took boat to ocean, started and ran like normal for 20 minutes and then it started acting up.

Motor would not run in neutral. However, if you immediately push into gear during starting it would continue to run up to about 2K and stay there. Putting the motor in neutral caused it stop running. You could restart the motor and repeat, which is how we get back to the dock.

After some testing, we have narrowed it down to the motor only running on the left bank of cylinders. The right bank is getting spark but the plugs are dry. No gas smell or wetness on plugs. Replaced all spark plugs with new. Plugs are still dry. No gas smell or wetness on plugs.

Removed output High Pressure lines from high pressure pump. Spun the HP pump manually with my hand and fuel comes out of both ports. So I believe the HP is working normally out of both ports.

I believe this leaves me with a completely clogged fuel rail and three injectors or the injectors are not opening as they are supposed to.

ECM/U or Injector Driver - sounds like the next logical check right?

I am taking the motor to a dealer in the morning to check out with a
    computer and run tests. I am concerned that the dealer may want to throw parts at the problem without understanding what is really wrong.

I am considering taking the injector driver off the good motor and put it on the bad motor to see if that works. Good or bad idea?

Any other thoughts? How can I make sure we are not wasting money on parts that don't fix the problem.

Thanks for any input.
    Ted

if you dont know how to release the driver clip you will snap the lock tabs off the driver.
    for 50 bucks I can tell you how to fix that.
    my guess would be a shift switch.
    cranking it sparks on all six.
    running in N it sparks 4.
    running in N above about 1200 and it sparks two cyl.

Comment

turns out, it was a bad injector driver.

Comment

Working...
      X