30 mlhr dies at idle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30 mlhr dies at idle.

hi there. i have a 30 mlhr currently i am trying to see if there is anything major wrong with this engine before i switch the power head off of my other motor. i just bought this motor and don't know much about it and the seller was unsure of exactly what was wrong with it other than it doesn't stay running at idle.

so i have taking it home changed the oil and lubes clean the fuel filter which looks to be new.

i hooked up the gas and gave it a few pumps pulled the choke and it started after pulls i let it run for a minute holding the throttle and closed off the choke.

it kept running for a i little bit so i switched it into gear and gave it more throttle and every thing seemed fine until i switch the gear back to neutral. it died at idle. i started it again and left it idle until it died again.

i am thing maybe the pilot screws need to be adjusted or possible maybe broken.

any suggestions would be great. thanks

clean the carbs and then set to specs in service manual

Comment

+1 ^^^^.

Originally posted by rickypistols View Post
      i hooked up the gas and gave it a few pumps pulled the choke and it started after pulls i let it run for a minute holding the throttle and closed off the choke.
      Your choking it to keep it running confirms the carb is varnished up, jets clogged. Pull ALL the jets, don't just spray with carb cleaner, they must be spotless.. And take note of ANY adjustment screws you may remove so put them back as found. Better yet, check the shop manual for the appropriate setting as you know it's been dinked with.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

hey guys thanks for the info, sorry it took a while for me to get back on the forum.

so i stripped the carbs apart and gave them a good cleaning. when i pulled the mixture screw out of the top carb i noticed the tip was rounded, i then looked in the hole and could see that the tip had broken off inside the hole. i have looked at other forums about how to remove the broken tip but they wont work on this style of carb because the screw comes in from the side and the hole turns 90 degrees up to the main chamber so i can see or get anything on to the end of the broken tip to push it out. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
        X