Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can't get Yamaha diagnostic software 1.3 to work

SOLVED (see my reply below)

I have a 2011 F50 TLR, so I purchased the YDS 1.3 kit. I installed the software and the drivers on multiple Windows machines (one was Vista, the other was Windows 2010) with no errors/issues. However when I plug into the 3-pin connector on the engine and turn the ignition to the ON position, I get an error message when I start the YDS program on my laptop. The error said something like "ECM communcation failure" or something similar (I didn't get a screenshot, sorry).

Note that when I plug in to the diagnostic port, I see that the blue light on the adapter cord turns blue. So it's getting power as far as I can see.

Is YDS 1.3 correct for a 2011 F50? From what I read, that's the correct version, but I do know that I'm sort of on the cusp of when YDS 2.0 came out.

Open to any suggestions, thanks.
    Last edited by rejesterd; 05-28-2017, 08:48 AM.
    2011 F50TLR, 2010 G3 V167C

Thanks, I'll double check it. It could just be getting power and nothing else.

Comment

I have the same lowly version.

YDS has to use: COM port one.

I had to power up (blue light on), obviously plugged in to computer, and go find the port setting under device manager.

Oh, and the driver software had to loaded as well. I believe I was prompted to load driver at some point in loading/initializing program.

It should be located on whatever disk you used to load software. Probably instructions on that disk too.....
      Last edited by pstephens46; 05-22-2017, 03:45 PM.

Comment

my problem with Win 10 is finding the USB Serial Port, so that I can set it to "COM 1" - for some reason its a "hidden device":

Comment

There should be a sticky thread with these tips, especially Fairdeal's post.

These are the things that drive people to drink.
          Last edited by pstephens46; 05-22-2017, 07:07 PM.

Comment

I had the EXACT same issue.

Eventually got it working with MUCH help from folks here.

Page 5 specifically with instructions (post #69 eventually for me), changing the port "type":

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...h26303-p5.html

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-22-2017, 07:07 PM.
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.. good to know that others have had this same issue. I think a couple of you are right about going into the device manager and manually selecting the correct port. I'll try that this weekend as a first step.

Comment

Originally posted by rejesterd View Post
                Thanks everyone for the suggestions.. good to know that others have had this same issue. I think a couple of you are right about going into the device manager and manually selecting the correct port. I'll try that this weekend as a first step.
                On this lap top, I have one port I have labeled YDS and don't use it for anything else..

I think (not sure) if using it for something else may default it back.. I'm not going to find out!!
                Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                  On this lap top, I have one port I have labeled YDS and don't use it for anything else..

I think (not sure) if using it for something else may default it back.. I'm not going to find out!!
                  How did you set your USB port to 'data only'? Thanks.

Comment

How did you set your USB port to 'data only'? Thanks.
                    Oops.. I found the link on the other page you noted, so I think I'm all set now. Thanks.

Comment

Oops.. I found the link on the other page you noted, so I think I'm all set now. Thanks.
                      My computer friend had to change it with the help of the above posts...
                      Scott

Comment

SOLVED

Thanks again all, I got it working on my Windows 10 64-bit Lenovo T430 laptop. For reference, here's what I did:

1. Plugged the ODB2 cable into the engine and connected it to one of my laptop's USB ports.

2. Turned the engine key to the ON position.

3. Pressed the Windows key, and typed 'device manager' and then hit Enter. That brought up the Device Manager.

4. In the Device Manager, I clicked on 'View > Show hidden devices'. After doing that, I could see the 'USB Serial Port' listed under the 'Ports (COM & LPT)' section. I just had to keep changing the port (COM1, COM2, etc) until I found the right one that connects to the engine. Then YDS came up just fine.

*Note: The 'USB Serial Port' item did not show up until after I had plugged the cord into the engine (and the blue light on the connection adapter came on). So I think that's where I got lost before when trying to get this working.

I can now see my engine has 244 hours on it, and all diagnostic tests that ran say 'Normal'. The only code I found was a #37 ("intake air passage") which occurred at 201 hours. So I think it's running well at this point.

Just wanted to know if anyone uses the Data Logger to graph multiple sensor outputs at the same time?

Also, I'd like to hear any other tips & tricks that you all have regarding YDS 1.3. Any good tutorials out there?

Comment

Working...
                        X