• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking back on Slide rules

Boscoe was reminiscing recently about a once-common sight:

[/url]

Here's a good read
    (for anyone who is old enough to care. My first semester in college was predominantly slide rule practice...)

https://www.uvm.edu/pdodds/files/pap...stoll2006a.pdf

Do pilots in training still use a circular slide rule or have they all gone electronic?

I still have my E6-B from 50 years ago. Might have to practice a bit again to figure it all out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E6B

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
      Boscoe was reminiscing recently about a once-common sight:

[/url]

Here's a good read
      (for anyone who is old enough to care. My first semester in college was predominantly slide rule practice...)

https://www.uvm.edu/pdodds/files/pap...stoll2006a.pdf
      Oh yea. The narrow black tie. Forgot about that part.

The guy looks familiar. But they/we all did. Sargeant Joe Friday hair cuts and all.

Comment

Went with it thru hydraulics curriculum in 1974. Got Texas instrument calculator and it killed slide rule on a spot.

Comment

I have a fountain pen around here somewhere. My father had one of the first scientific HP calculators. You had to have a lesson to use it as well. It had an enter button....

Comment

My old E6-B is up in the attic with the 2 sticks I used to rub together to make fire....I still have my dad's Chemical slide rule....never used it so not sure what it's good for???....

Comment

There are still professionals using similar (bone replaced by plastic) ruler thingies down under.
              What is used to scale drawings in the USA?

Comment

computers would be my guess

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
                  There are still professionals using similar (bone replaced by plastic) ruler thingies down under.
                  What is used to scale drawings in the USA?

This what you are referring too?

Architect scale, drafting scale. I got one of those and still use it to scale up a drawing...sometimes.
                  Last edited by panasonic; 06-22-2017, 04:44 AM.

Comment

I think I had one of those back in the early 70s
                    have no idea what happened to it.
                    like most stuff when you have kids things dissapear

Comment

Kids probably used it to dig a hole. Big thing nowadays is making slime in the kitchen. Pour borax, shaving cream and I don't know what else in a bowl. Makes a funky slime that they play with a few hours and pitch in the trash. Makes a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                        This what you are referring too?

Architect scale, drafting scale. I got one of those and still use it to scale up a drawing...sometimes.
                        Yes.
                        Somethings have been around a longtime for good reason.
                        If a computer could replace this, I wonder how? Perhaps with the use of a camera function if the drawing is not already in electronic form, expand with fingers on touch screen or "magnifying lens" or scroll wheel; then print. But then that is complicated.
                        Can't beat the simplicity of that ruler in quickly determining any length by simply knowing the scale and laying it on the drawing, plan or photo!

Comment

Well. If any of these kooks ever lights off a few of these electromagnetic pulse bomb things, we may be back to slide rules and driving 1967 Impalas.

Comment

blue prints you know the scale,
                            pics and plans maybe (Probably not)

have to wonder if the old points and condencer motors will still run after the major pulse.
                            most of the old shows showed it all dead
                            Last edited by 99yam40; 05-23-2017, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                              blue prints you know the scale,
                              pics and plans maybe (Probably not)
                              Often you can determine the scale by measuring a known length. Examples like standard dimensional things like heights, building material dimensions, signs, people, and often used today a coin or ruler placed within a photograph.

Comment

Working...
                              X