Top Trim Bar Flashing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Trim Bar Flashing

This has probably been covered many times but I couldn't find the exact answer to my question when searching.

So here goes:

I have just re-powered my boat with a 2004 F150AET. The engine came with a new 703 con*****er and multi-function gauges (tach and speedo). The engine has 2 plugs for the trim/oil harness. Looking at the tach it looks like it's from a later model year engine (only has one plug on the back). I also have a trim oil harness which has 2 plugs at each end.

Both gauges indicate as expected but my trim indicator top bar flashes i.e. not receiving a trim sender signal, which makes sense if the second plug is not connected at the back of the tach.

So my question is is there a way of getting the trim function to read on the gauge? Can I use the existing harness 'spare' plug wires and splice in to the tach wires or do I have to buy an adapter harness?

Cheers

Boscoe will no doubt provide the wiring harness adapter info

But I'm sure you can do it with a splice (that would be my approach)

The pink wire from the tach is the trim

As it is also at the engine harness -

so you need to see what color that mates with on your trim /oil harness.

On mine, its the peppermint stripe wire: white/red

btw, are you sure you have your low oil pressure & high temp Lights?

Comment

Comment

Thanks guys for the quick responses. I'll check the harness wire tomorrow. Does the trim signal need the ref voltage (orange wire) connected? Thought i'd read that somewhere?

I've got the bars for the low oil press and high temp when I turn the ignition on (they go off after a second or so) - not confirmed they will flash if there's a genuine issue though!

Boscoe - I'm in the UK so getting hold of the adapter is a bit trickier as I can't find many stockists over here. I may have to look at getting one shipped if the splicing doesn't work out

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Nobbie10 View Post
          Does the trim signal need the ref voltage (orange wire) connected?
          ECU reference voltage for engine sensors?
          no, the trim is "standalone" - supplied by the tach

Comment

Originally posted by Nobbie10 View Post
            Thanks guys for the quick responses. I'll check the harness wire tomorrow. Does the trim signal need the ref voltage (orange wire) connected? Thought i'd read that somewhere?

I've got the bars for the low oil press and high temp when I turn the ignition on (they go off after a second or so) - not confirmed they will flash if there's a genuine issue though!

Boscoe - I'm in the UK so getting hold of the adapter is a bit trickier as I can't find many stockists over here. I may have to look at getting one shipped if the splicing doesn't work out

Cheers
            Your trim sender should be the two wire type. Yamaha went from three wire to two wire senders circa 2001. Consequently, the sender does not need the 5 volt reference that came from the older style (two connector) tachometer. The newer style (single connector) tachometer does not output 5 volts, and thus is not 100% compatible with the three wire sender type. No trim bar functionality that is.

I would cut and splice but...

Comment

[QUOTE=boscoe99;139540]Your trim sender should be the two wire type. Yamaha went from three wire to two wire senders circa 2001. Consequently, the sender does not need the 5 volt reference that came from the older style (two connector) tachometer. The newer style (single connector) tachometer does not output 5 volts, and thus is not 100% compatible with the three wire sender type. No trim bar functionality that is.
              /QUOTE]

well. Once again. like Donnie, I am "out of my element"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks072waMayk

Comment

Thanks again guys - I'll have a play in the morning.

Comment

Just as an aside - would the adapter harness give me any additional functionality over and above the trim indication?

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                    Boscoe will no doubt provide the wiring harness adapter info
                    He's cemented himself on this forum as the Schematic God. Unimpeachable and most deserving of this title.
                    Jason
                    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Working...
                    X