Overheating Problem did what damage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So here is the latest,

First off, thank you to all of the good information I have received to date. Yes this particular engine does not have a buzzer for either the temperature or oil because it is a tiller unit. Also because it is a tiller unit the water stream is behind you to the right side of the motor as you steer the boat looking forward with your left hand. Not the best design in the world. Why they don't put a water stream on both sides is beyond me. So yes I should have been paying closer attention to the fact that I felt a lack of power and I should have looked back to see if the water was coming out. This is my first boat and I have had it for 5 years now and have not had one problem. Everyone has told me that these engines are bolt proof and I don't have to worry about anything just use it and go fishing. Well I have learned alot of things after all of this that is for sure.

So after putting everything back together and putting the temperature sensor back in the housing of the motor, I verified I still had the same problem. The interesting thing was when I started the motor up I was able to increase the rpm's above 2000. I did not go any higher then 3200 rpm's and then I went back to idle speed. The next time I increased the rpm's I could not go above 2000 this time. Motor was still in "Limp Home Mode". My assumption was earlier the CDI unit was not receiving the input from the temperature sensor or the engine was not warmed up enough. But the good thing was I still had the failure. Next I shut the motor off and disconnected the temperature sensor. Restarted the motor and it ran fine at idle and I was able to increase the rpm's above 2000 rpm's and went as high as 3500 rpm's. The motor was not in "Limp Home Mode". So I think this is the problem. I will hopefully get a new sensor tomorrow and install it and then I hopefully will be able to get back on the water. This brings me to my next set of questions. What next???

We did check the compression of both cylinders and we got a reading of 110. I was told that is good. Not sure what the 110 meant but I am trusting the technician. I have replaced the water pump, thermostat and plugs so far. I have checked the fuel filter, oil level, oil color (not milky white or anything indicating water and oil have mixed) and have looked over the complete motor. So have I missed anything?

What steps should I take to gradually start breaking the motor back in and what signs should I be looking for in the future????

Again, thank you for all your help and I am sorry this is so long.

Comment

Working...
    X