1989 ProV 200 Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 ProV 200 Problems

I have a 200 ProV and just had the carbs rebuilt, the motor runs great on idle, I can even rev up the rpm's while not in gear. When I start to take off it hesitates and won't plane off. Where should I start?

Originally posted by towindham View Post
    I have a 200 ProV and just had the carbs rebuilt, the motor runs great on idle, I can even rev up the rpm's while not in gear. When I start to take off it hesitates and won't plane off. Where should I start?
    Hi, sorry to hear about your trouble.

Here is what I would suggest:

- Check the fuel lines and operation of hand primer.

- Check fuel filter.

-With motor not running, while you prime fuel, check that no fuel is pouring out of carburetors. (indicating needle not seated properly.

- Remove spark plugs and see if anyone is wet, indicating too much gas in cylinder, which could be a defective fuel pump membrane, sending fuel directly into that cylinder. Even if you have spare on that cylinder it might not fire due to excessive amnt of gas.

-Check for sparks on all cylinders (not likely as it runs well at idle but always good to check)

-With engine running, prime fuel, using hand primer and see if that makes any difference. Indicating that the fuel pump isn't up to snuff.
    1990 Yamaha 130v4 130ETXD.

Comment

I'm curious...did you have this problem prior to rebuilding the carbs?

Sounds fuel system related because it's failing under load and hesitating when giving throttle. I agree with previous reply, as you throttle up hand prime the bulb. If this remedies the issue, fuel pump has tanked.
      Jason
      1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

before the carbs were cleaned and rebuilt, you would have to "feather" it to get it to run right, I'm in to process of changing fuel pumps, will update of any changes soon, thanks guys

Comment

Put new fuel pump on and seemed to run fine! Only running 4700rpm wide open and only going 45-47mph (gps), changing props today and see if that helps any was running a 4 blade 24P, going to a 3 blade 23P, any other suggestions?

Comment

Working...
          X