Tachometer trouble.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tachometer trouble.

Good evening everyone! I just bought a 2017 Alumacraft Competitor 185 sport. Equipped with a Yamaha F150. My tach has been reading well over the rev limiter to the extent of 6800-7000 rpm. I know there are settings on the back to adjust the tach for different applications but want to pick the forums collective brain before I touch anything or bring it back to the dealer. Thanks in advance!

Which tach model do you have? Or post a picture.
    Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

take it back.
      once you start placing your skinners on it you may void any warrenty.

Comment

I'll post a pic of the front of the tach when I get back to the boat if needed to help with a solution.
        Thanks again!
        Attached Files

Comment

I agree with rodbolt..Take it back to the dealer, let them fix it.

What if the engine is really over reving. The Rev limiter is malfunctioning and the tach is reading correctly. I suspect that is a very remote possibly, but stranger things have happened.

The ECU limits the rpm, which is getting that information from one of the engine sensors/components. Maybe Rodbolt can educate us on how that really works on these engines, he is in the know about these things....

Comment

Originally posted by Purvis30 View Post
            I'll post a pic of the front of the tach when I get back to the boat if needed to help with a solution.
            Thanks again!
            Looks to be a Teleflex brand tachometer.

Your motor uses a 12 pole setting on the tachometer. From what I can see, it appears that your tachometer is not adjusted properly. If set for a lower number of poles than the motor has then the RPM value shown on the tachometer will be erroneously low.

Teleflex literature is vague IMO. It mentions that the tachometer is adjustable for motors with 4 to 12 poles but the tachometer adjustment knob does not have a number 12 set point. If it were me I would rotate the pole setting knob to the 6 position on the dial. Then run the motor and see what you see. You can't hurt anything by making the adjustment.

Give us some feed back por favor.

Comment

Hey!
              So setting #6 did nothing. I adjusted it to #5 and it worked. What it is showing is 800-900 rpm at idle and 5800-5900 at 49 mph. It's going in next Tuesday to the dealer to have the Digital Command Link gauges installed so the analog gauges will be center pieces for my work bench soon. Let me know what you think about my findings.

Comment

Tach trouble

Here is what I found.
                Attached Files

Comment

Might be a Livorsi tachometer. In which case Livorsi says to set the dial to the number 5 position for a 12 pole system.

Looks like you have got it by jove.

Comment

Working...
                  X